"50 State Emissions" option

eleanor5oh

Established Member
I just found a great car in another state that I was interested in buying, only to realize later that it has a "50 state emissions" no charge option. From what I've read online, this means different computer tuning and cats? I can only imagine how much "California" has messed up this car. I am sort of afraid to buy it now, and it is beyond pointless for me living in a state with no emission checks. I really don't want to buy a new 0 mile car that I can't mod for 3 years because of the warranty, and have to be stuck with that crap on it. Does anyone know more specifics about it? Even if it doesn't affect horsepower, how much worse does it sound? Is the engine bay crowded with all kinds of extra junk in it?

slick3

Established Member
I just found a great car in another state that I was interested in buying, only to realize later that it has a "50 state emissions" no charge option. From what I've read online, this means different computer tuning and cats? I can only imagine how much "California" has messed up this car. I am sort of afraid to buy it now, and it is beyond pointless for me living in a state with no emission checks. I really don't want to buy a new 0 mile car that I can't mod for 3 years because of the warranty, and have to be stuck with that crap on it. Does anyone know more specifics about it? Even if it doesn't affect horsepower, how much worse does it sound? Is the engine bay crowded with all kinds of extra junk in it?

I have one. I live in Komifornia. As far as I can tell, there is not a huge difference visually as to any other 5.0 I have seen on here. I THINK that all its saying that the car has the neccesary smog equipment to be sold in California (closed air box, catalytic converters etc.) As for power or computer tuning, I am not sure. Maybe someone will chime in with a better definition as to what 50 state emissions truly is. I am actually very interested. BTW Im going to take a good guess and say power is unaffected. My car scoots like a bat out of hell, I love it. Best of luck with your purchase!

eleanor5oh

Established Member
I had some ford engineers and parts people look into it and most of them said there was no difference in parts/parts numbers. The ECU part number mentioned something about the tune being dependant on the option packages so that might be something. Maybe all our real tuners here will know the difference. Perhaps this is just a certification required by dealers of certain states? This seems to be difficult to get information on, everyone says something different.

Nuar

Established Member
Yup, all new vehicles are required to conform to the most strict US laws, including Cali.
Sounds to me like just another stock mustag that the seller included the wording to attract potential Cali buyers that have to deal with the strict Nazzi Cali emissions programs :)

If I am wrong someone will chime in and correct me :)

eleanor5oh

Established Member

Nuar

Established Member
Ok, I have no idea then. Maybe its just a formality for California cars?
Now I am curious...

nzimmer6649

Established Member
I'm pretty sure all vehicles sold now are 50 state emission legal

Don't think so. My car is a 2014. It clearly states on a sticker under the hood, "Not for sale in states with California emissions standards." Its ironic because its a GT/ California Special....

nzimmer6649

Established Member
Yup, all new vehicles are required to conform to the most strict US laws, including Cali.
Sounds to me like just another stock mustag that the seller included the wording to attract potential Cali buyers that have to deal with the strict Nazzi Cali emissions programs :)

If I am wrong someone will chime in and correct me :)

I would think there has to be a difference....

20140716_121752_zps05fddf1e.jpg

eleanor5oh

Established Member
Don't think so. My car is a 2014. It clearly states on a sticker under the hood, "Not for sale in states with California emissions standards." Its ironic because its a GT/ California Special....
Interesting there could be two variants, maybe three.

Add your vin # to the end of this URL, and see if your car says 50 state emissions under optional equip.
http://www.inventory.ford.com/services/inventory/WindowSticker.pdf?vin=

I spoke with a salesman in Ohio who told me the "California emission" option CANNOT be sold to any state that DOES NOT follow the CA emissions. There are roughly 5-6 or so states that all follow the CA emissions.
Example: A California emission car cannot be sold in Michigan. This is where the 50 emission car comes in, these are eligible to be sold in all 50 states. It is possible that the third option is the one that does not say 50 state emissions on it. Supposedly the "50 state emissions" car has roughly 2 horsepower or so less, that's what the dealer told me. I don't care about the 2 HP but what kind of parts they changed on the car is making me really wonder.

Nuar

Established Member
I just checked my sticker with the above link and it does list cali emissions thing...
i am in connecticut...

eleanor5oh

Established Member
This was posted by a ford rep on another form.

The California Emissions don’t affect the engine power, guys.

In the United States, emissions standards are managed by the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA). The state of California has special dispensation to promulgate more stringent vehicle emissions standards, and other states may choose to follow either the national or California standards.

California's emissions standards are set by the California Air Resources Board, known locally by its acronym "CARB". Given that California's automotive market is one of the largest in the world, CARB wields enormous influence over the emissions requirements that major automakers must meet if they wish to sell into that market. In addition, several other U.S. states also choose to follow the CARB standards, so their rulemaking has broader implications within the U.S.

In addition to California, states that require vehicles to meet California emissions standards (Green States) include Connecticut, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New York, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Vermont, and Washington. New vehicles registered in these states must be equipped with California or 50-State emissions systems and the importation of used vehicles into these states may be restricted.
Cross Border States are states that border Green States, and California or 50-State emissions may be available as a vehicle option in the event the vehicle is registered or largely operated in a green state. Cross Border States are Arizona, District of Columbia, Delaware, Idaho, New Hampshire, Nevada, Ohio, Virginia, and West Virginia.

Nuar

Established Member
Ok, now it makes sense why my stang has that crap. Now the million dollar question is, what the heck is different about the emissions system?!

Since it affects me, I need to find this out lol... I hate ****necticut :p

KonaFifty

Established Member
my car came from texas, bought it used in california from a ford dealer...mine didnt come up with the 50 states thing. once i get my car back ill check the sticker under the hood.

Users who are viewing this thread