5 point harness belt installation help

WhiteSnakeEyes

Established Member
Alright, I'm new at this and maybe I'm just not doing it right...but when I started installing the 5 point belts and adjusted them about where they need to go....i have ALOT of excess belt left over on the other side. For instance on the shoulder belts, after I wrap them around the harness bar I have about 3.5ft. of belt left over tht just hangs behind the seat. Same for the 2 lap belts but it's not as bad as the shoulder ones. I didn't figure I was suppose to cut any off, so what do I do with the excess? BTW, these are Corbeau 3in. belts with the camlock. Any help or even pics for reference would be great!

Wynn

Wants 11's
Established Member
idk but i'd imagine you could trim the edges then burn them... wait for the experts tho lol

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
Here's what I did. I'm not to sure what you're talking about mine are all even, just get it as close as you can and you should have the same amount of extra belt on either side..
DSCN0215.jpg
[/IMG]
DSCN0217.jpg
[/IMG]

WhiteSnakeEyes

Established Member
ok...well maybe I'm doing it completely wrong. I took the mounting bracket off the shoulder straps and was mounting it to the harness bar. Should I be mounting it elsewhere and just wrapping it around the harness bar? The excess of the belt is behind the seat..it's what's left over after I wrap mounted it on the harness bar. I attached a photo of how I mounted it and also a pic of the excess belt.

TheCobra064.jpg

TheCobra065.jpg

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
yea that is way to much slack.. what you need to do is set it up to where the part that buckles in is touching the bottom of the seat. You want lots of slack on the shoulder harnesses so then it will accomodate different sized people. then you will have less slack.

WhiteSnakeEyes

Established Member
yea that is way to much slack.. what you need to do is set it up to where the part that buckles in is touching the bottom of the seat. You want lots of slack on the shoulder harnesses so then it will accomodate different sized people. then you will have less slack.

put a seat in temporarily and slide the belt thru it. Here is where the belt is at with all the slack pictured in the earlier photos...looks exactly where it needs to be, but still leaves all that slack. Also pictured is a pic of the slack in the belt at where it buckles in. Is that much normal or too much also?
TheCobra066.jpg

TheCobra067.jpg

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
wow that is nuts!! way to much slack.. Is there any directions? Maybe you're supposed to trip off the access in the back.. The slack up front is way to much you won't be able to tighten yourself down because it's already at it's max you know..

WhiteSnakeEyes

Established Member
nope no directions. Yeah I knew it was alot of slack. I've got the front to where it should be now where I can tighten it when need be...but it put more slack in the back, there's about 4ft. of slack behind the seat now. Nobody else have this same problem?

KB281JD

Established Member
i cut what was hanging over in the back and used a light to melt the ends so the threads dont come undone...its what the corbeau guy recomended that i bought em from...

Myzticsnake

Savage
Established Member
nope no directions. Yeah I knew it was alot of slack. I've got the front to where it should be now where I can tighten it when need be...but it put more slack in the back, there's about 4ft. of slack behind the seat now. Nobody else have this same problem?

I imagine the slack is there if you need to hook the belts to/near the rear shelf for applications where that is appropriate.

I would actually be suprised if there wasnt a lot of slack unless you bought belts that were specifically designed for a harness bar.

Users who are viewing this thread