5 days before I give a BEST MAN SPEECH and.....

VeNoMiZeD

Established Member
I'm struggling here on what I should say. I'm like running through a load of videos on Youtube to get an idea. But I'm still stuck:bash::eek:. I know the basic:

3-5 minutes speech max
-Introduction (Thank everyone/guests for coming & wedding planner)
-Compliment the Bride and Groom
-Explain how I know the groom (Friend of 12 years)
-Tell a funny story about the groom or both the groom and bride (this is where Im stuck)
-Then do the toast

I'm really trying to find a story that would be funny, that isn't "inside" funny within the groom/friends. This is my first BEST MAN SPEECH and panicking here.LOL

Any suggestions?

Just a little background on this wedding. It's a casual BEACH WEDDING in Maui, Hawaii. The reception is at a restaurant with about 20-25 people (thank god it's not a normal 100+ guest wedding)

Last edited:

WizardsCobra

LTHL SVT
Established Member
Just tell them about a great experience you had with your friend. I have two great friends for the past three years and some stories I would never tell but I have a lot of great stories to tell. Just talk about an adventure or day of fun you guys had with friends or something.

ford_racer

King of SVTP
Established Member
This is the exact reason why I never want any of my good friends to get married.

Not that I have any friends, but you know.

TJSwoboda

Established Member
1. Suggest kids and sensitive adults go potty.
2. Tell everyone that you and the groom's mom had him figured for gay.
3. Tell everyone that that's not really fair, because if you drive one nail nobody calls you a carpenter, but you give one click for text if you're not at work...

Oh wait, you're not my brother's best man a week and a half ago. Never mind... :) (yes, he said that. It was a "normal 100+ guest wedding." :uh oh: )

RACEME

Standard opening words to begin with.

The Reason you get married:

"You don't get married because you can live with someone. You get married because you can't live without them"

that_guy

Gun Nut
Established Member
I have to do the same thing in September and have not written a thing for it :(

Koncept

Established Member
Get hammered and go with this.

True love is hard to find, sometimes you think you have true love and then you catch the early flight home from San Diego and a couple of nude people jump out of your bathroom blindfolded like a goddamn magic show ready to double team your girlfriend...

ShortThrow50

Always buyin cheap tires
Established Member
well, have fun with that dude. i feel for you. i had to do that several years ago. needless to say, i slammed down a few glasses of wine before hand and it turned out not to bad

TJSwoboda

Established Member
Standard opening words to begin with.

The Reason you get married:

"You don't get married because you can live with someone. You get married because you can't live without them"
That's not bad. I was best man once, and I did some internet searching and based my speech around the theme (to the bride) "are you getting a good deal?" :) My speech wasn't a roast at all, but I think the ultimate best man speech would be a combination toast/(friendly) roast. Good luck.

Coiled03

Established Member
Been there, done that. It's not too bad if you stick to the gameplan you laid out, and just speak from the heart.

EBBS_03_Cobra

Never satisfied
Established Member
Get hammered and go with this.

True love is hard to find, sometimes you think you have true love and then you catch the early flight home from San Diego and a couple of nude people jump out of your bathroom blindfolded like a goddamn magic show ready to double team your girlfriend...

Beat me to it, lol.

Bankstitan

Pwns F150s daily
Established Member
hehe, i had to give a best man speech before.

Pretty much what you stated. i thanked everyone for coming. Then i explained on how i knew the groom and some of the key experiences we had together. then i spoke about how he met the bride and how she affected his life. Then i talked about how both of them are together and wished them the best of luck. worked well

I had to do a Maid of Honor speech last month in front of 60+ people - I googled wedding speeches to get an idea then incorporated my own thoughts & feelings

hoamskilet

Established Member
First things first, don't make this harder than it is. I've been a best man 3 times within the past few years and each time I just came up with a rough idea of what I wanted to say for my toast in the limo on the way to the reception. Keep it short. By the time the toasts roll around, people are already workin on bein three sheets to the wind and are getting hungry. Nobody wants to listen to someone ramble at that point. Don't try too hard to be the "funny guy". If you've got something that is legitimately funny to say, by all means go for it. But if you've got some long drawn out story that you think might be funny and nobody laughs, you're gonna end up feeling like an idiot. I was at my cousin's wedding a few weeks ago and the best man (who happened to be the grooms brother) decided to tell three stories that he thought was funny and ripped on his brother. None of em were funny, nobody laughed, and he just ended up looking like an asshole. Just relax and talk from your heart. I know it sounds cheesy, but you won't have a hard time remembering what to say or comming up with something on the spot if it's how you really feel. Oh, and one last thing, don't get wasted before the toast. You'll have some people laughing because of how dumb you look, but for the most part it'd just be embarrassing for everyone.

Last edited:

Nicky Pass

...boom goes the dynamite
Established Member
Feel free to borrow and edit! Everyone loved this speech I gave about 3 weeks ago. If its and "inside thing" make sure atleast 1/2 of the people in the room would get it.

"Let me first start by thanking everyone for coming to join us in celebrating Monika and Joe’s wedding. I’m Nick, Joe’s older brother, and the obvious choice for the best man.

Monika, you look stunning
Joe, you look......stunned! Did all of this figure into the spread sheet?

My brother Joe…. What can I say?

I remember when I met him.....when he was a baby, an look at him now!

My brother Joe and I have been through alot......
of drywall
a couple of doors
and one time, a fence

Growing up with Joe, there was never a dull moment. I shared a room with him for 10 years. His favorite saying was “Nick made me do it”! ….yes Mom and Dad, I made Joe throw a chair at the wall! We learned to just cover the damage with Pantera and Metallica posters. Perhaps on of the most defining moments in Joe's life, besides when he me Monika, was when Joe was 13. He and my cousin Danny decided to raid the liquor cabinet at my aunt Pam’s house while she was at dinner. The only thing they could find was a bottle of Old Crow Whiskey. When Aunt Pam got home, she found Danny passed out by the TV and they found Joe at the top of the stairs in his underwear passed out! Needless to say, he got in a lot of trouble that night and the next morning, he experienced his first of many hangovers!

See…hears the thing…Joe is a pretty good brother

Since he is my brother, I’d like to think I know him pretty well. I have seen Joe angry, sad, excited, upset, and happy.

I can tell you one thing is for certain...when Joe met Monika, he was excited. And now that he is married to Monika, I know he is happy!

Monika....let me offically welcome you to the Passannante family.

So could everyone please raise their glasses….

To Joe and Monica, May the ups and downs of your marriage take place in the bedroom.
I wish you both nothing but the best in your lives together.

To Joe and Monika!"

Users who are viewing this thread