5.6mpg on last tank! What's wrong!?!

Formula51

Established Member
Gas mileage was just 5.6mpg on last fill up (63.5 miles on 11.4 gallons). I usually see between 10-13mpg as my driving is all low speed with lots of stops and starts.

What could cause the sudden drop?

Two weeks ago I changed plugs (old ones looked good and were low mileage), cleaned filter (wasn't dirty) and cleaned MAF. Most of this tank was after those changes.

Car starts fine and runs fine. No engine light/codes. No visible fuel leaks. Pulled vacuum line off FRPS and no fuel or fuel smell. Oil is clean, fresh and doesn't smell like gas.

I just threw a fuel filter on it today, don't know when it was last changed but it was a FRAM so it's not original. Car has 60,000 miles. Could the filter have been the problem? Anything else I should check?

Going to do half mile drag racing Sunday and worried about this. Don't want to hurt anything.

Car has a Whipple and good/safe 93 octane dyno tune that has been on the car for the past two years.

Formula51

Established Member
Disregard guys. I think this was operator error. I had been filling the tank up to only 1/2 to 3/4 so I could keep it low to add race fuel before the event. I'm betting I reset the trip odometer out of habit and that 63.5 miles was only on 1/4 to 1/2 tank of gas since I filled up with a 1/4 still in the tank. Whew. Sorry for the post. Just being paranoid that everything is perfect before I run the car hard Sunday.

01yellercobra

Established Member
Glad I'm not the only one that's done that. Usually I forget I've disconnected the battery and then wonder why the mileage is so low.

Misspelling brought to you by Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread