5.4l internals info needed

tonewyork89

Wraith
Established Member
Sup guys, I'm building a 5.4 for my Cobra and we just took out the internals that came with the used block I bought. It has a forged crank, I-beam rods (not sure if they're forged) and flat top Mahle pistons. Any idea what it could be out of if stock? I know the crank is a forged Ford piece but I haven't checked the pistons part numbers, I'll post those later on. Any info would be great as the owner of ACE Crankshaft says it's all in good shape and could use a cleanup and polish the crank.

2001SVTTRUCK

Established Member
If stock, Ford used those powdered "forged" rods that give us lightning owners so many problems(and windows in our block). Toss 'um for a set of forged H-beams. I have Manley's in my truck.

WhiTriCobra

PDP
Established Member
Ford went to the powdered forged rods years ago and used in alot of vehicles. They are forged crap. And why they used those in a SC truck like our L's...i have no idea.

2001SVTTRUCK

Established Member
I was looking at a review of the new GT500 and next to conecting rods it listed what I can remember being called a "cracked forged I beam." I'm not betting the farm on anything called cracked when it's brand new.

tonewyork89

Wraith
Established Member
I would assume they're stock, but there's no markings on them, no numbers or anything, i'm already using a new crank manley forged h-beams and mmr's 2500r pistons, i just want to know what to do with this extra set of crap lol. the pistons and crank look good, but it seams i'm lost on whether or not it's stock

Users who are viewing this thread