5.4L cold air intake

doublex

First Blown 'Stang
Established Member
So, with the Raptor soon to arrive at dealerships (if not already), who makes a good CAI for the 5.4L variety? I would assume they would be the same as any other F150 w/ 5.4L..? :coolman:

doublex

First Blown 'Stang
Established Member
Cool... I think Roush has one too. I guess there aren't the options like GT500's have even though the 5.4L has been out for a long time now.

MDK210

F150 Rep
Established Member
AFM actually makes the Roush intake. Troyer Performance threw a blower and all other kinds of insane stuff in my 08 F150 5.4l and in the process Mike Troyer schooled me on the F150's. He was one of the first people to help fab the Roush blowers since they were to be a option on 05 F150's and up. He is not a very big fan of K&N unless you talk about their oil filters and the reason for this is that over his 30+yrs of Ford truck experience did you know that the F150 5.4L intake is one if not the most R&D stock intake on the market! The 4.2l and 4.6l intakes are mostly the same but when it came to the 5.4l they did their research which that gorgeous motor and every bit of that intake is utilized for max performance on a N/A engine. He did all kinds of research from JLT intake (crap for F150's) and all other major brands and notice very small gains if any at all based on the stock intake. Save your money or get a Volant/S&B intake if you want a little more airflow but the money you save with keeping the stock makes it the wiser decision. If I didn't drop a Roush blower in her the intake would be stock. Also did you know the Roush kit comes with a intake that is almost identical to the stock? Those aftermarket Roush intakes don't come with their blower kits and the blower kit intakes have a bigger filter but it's still paper :) 380rwhp and 419rwtq don't lie on my 08 and that's a conservative tune of a stock motor running 8.5psi, stock trans and stock fuel pump.

Last edited:

DMassey

No Habla Jibber Jabber
Established Member

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
I'm with MDK210... S&B makes a VERY nice intake for the 5.4. I just researched this for my buddy who has an 08 F150 with a 3V 5.4. Alot of the guys like the S&B not only because it's high quality, but it is also completely sealed. If you're gonna run your truck through mud & heavy dirt, this is a huge factor to consider.

We just got his S&B intake from Auto Parts & Auto Accessories at AutoAnything - Truck Accessories, Aftermarket Parts, Tonneau Cover

I'm a fan of S&B too. I actually prefer their kits over K&N.

K&N's are fine for the street but not in dusty conditions off road. Cotton gauze filters let in alot more fine particles than a paper or foam filter. :nono:

I've run them on Jeeps and 4-wheelers for year and have never had a single problem with them. The intake after the filter is always spotless. However, if you are going to be driving in a sand storm you may want to stick with the stock system.

JWC

Established Member
Yes Mike knows his stuff. He tuned my 08 5.4 and picked up 44 RWHP with a AF1 intake and tuner on his dyno. He knows our trucks inside and out. Hey I also picked up my in town MPG to 16.8 and 19.8- 20.3 on the highway.

Users who are viewing this thread