5.4L 4v heads on a 3v motor?

thepatriot

Established Member
I seized the motor on my '96 Cobra and since I have to swap in a new motor I decided I might as well swap it for a 5.4 because I can.

I can pick up a 3v 5.4 out of an 08 F150 for like $500. Should I keep it SOHC or buy a set of ported and polished 4v DOHC Navi heads? I'm pretty sure the cams in my Cobra are still in good shape and I could swap them into the 4v heads.

Would it be a better decision to swap heads? Or would the 3v even work in the Cobra?

Thanks.

Wildman113

Established Member
I seized the motor on my '96 Cobra and since I have to swap in a new motor I decided I might as well swap it for a 5.4 because I can.

I can pick up a 3v 5.4 out of an 08 F150 for like $500. Should I keep it SOHC or buy a set of ported and polished 4v DOHC Navi heads? I'm pretty sure the cams in my Cobra are still in good shape and I could swap them into the 4v heads.

Would it be a better decision to swap heads? Or would the 3v even work in the Cobra?

Thanks.

The 5.4 3V heads are worthless. Not to mention the constant cam phaser failures.

If the 5.4 4V heads will bolt up to a 3V block, its a no-brainer!!

lightninmike

skeered to mod it
Established Member
same block as a regular 2v motor... however you will also need a 4v front cover and an intake as the 3v wont work, the 4.6 4v wont work

Users who are viewing this thread