5.4 swap?

SnoracerX

Think Snow
Established Member
i am wondering if anyone has info on whether or not the 4.6 heads fit on the 5.4 and if anyone has done this i want to stay n/a for awhile before i got the blower route and i can get 5.4 pretty cheap in need of overhaul i think it would be a great combo

any info is appreciated

postin the midnight oil..
Established Member
Are you talking about the DOHC or SOHC heads..?I don't think the DOHC heads would work though.

TLush

Established Member
I though I read somewhere someone put DOHC heads on a SOHC 4.6, it seemed to take some machine work. Can't remember where I read it though. If so why not the 5.4 also?
:read:

GR8WHITE

The BIG FISH
Established Member
The 4V heads will work on the Cast GT block. The 2003 -2004 cobras are proof of that. The block needs a couple of different holes for the larger DOHC front timing cover. The 4V heads will also fit on the 5.4, the Navigator & 2000 Cobra R is proof of that. You'd just need the DOHC front timing cover for the Navigator.

The big ugly bug is the intakes. The 5.4 has an inch taller deck height. Therefore the heads are wider apart on the 5.4 than on the shorter 4.6. I've seen a couple of people make their own intake adapters so they could reuse the stock intakes. I've also seen a couple of people use the truck intakes. The 2V truck intake is not good at all for performance applications. Really long runners. The Navigator intake for the DOHC 5.4 should be a little better. I'm sure there are a few other little details, this should help some though.

Boss 330

Established Member
I have a 5.4 dohc Cobra. It is street driven and runs 10.35/131 in N/A trim.
Here's a link to a thread i started over two years ago. It remains the best source of 5.4 info.
http://www.corral.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=10896

alnewmot.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread