5.4 R swap?

TTAFB_SVT

BETHA'S BACK !!!!!!!
Established Member
Just out of curiousity (sp?),how much trouble would it be to swap a stock 01 GT SOHC motor with the 5.4 DOHC in the Cobra R or a regular 4.6 DOHC in the regular Cobra? Which one would be easier and which one would be better? In your own humble opinions.;-)

CobraDOHC

12 Second Z
Established Member
I think the 4.6 DOHC would be the easiest, drop it in, bolt it up, and get the computer re-flashed for a Cobra.....the 5.4 on the other hand, even though I think it bolts right in, might need a new computer? Possibly wiring?? And you will need a new hood..Cobra R style.....the 4.6 seems more logical........Yeah I would have to go with the 5.4L...

JKCOBRA98

Established Member
4.6 or 5.4 DOHC!

Well I am doing the build up of the 5.4 and going that route. It is expensive and will not require any new computers or wiring. This will however need an intake for the 5.4.

On the other hand you can order a 4.6 engine complete from KarKraft and install it on a weekend and reflash the computer once you get it to a shop that can do that. The car will run without a tune but not advisable to drive very long.

The 4.6 will be the easiest. The 5.4 will be a nice project. You will need some new body parts if you go with the 5.4

Good luck with whatever you decide..

I can help on the 5.4 side if you need questions answered.

Thanks,
Matt

quick01snake

Your View
Established Member
Originally posted by CobraDOHC
I think the 4.6 DOHC would be the easiest, drop it in, bolt it up, and get the computer re-flashed for a Cobra.....the 5.4 on the other hand, even though I think it bolts right in, might need a new computer? Possibly wiring?? And you will need a new hood..Cobra R style.....the 4.6 seems more logical........Yeah I would have to go with the 5.4L...

Computer and wiring harness must be changed/adapted to put 4.6 DOHC in a GT, otherwise it's pretty straightforward.

TTAFB_SVT

BETHA'S BACK !!!!!!!
Established Member
Aside from the new hood,what parts would be needed to put in the 5.4? I assume a 6 speed would be in order but would I need to fabricate anything? Change motor mounts or maybe a stronger axle? How would I go about getting an intake? Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

JKCOBRA98

Established Member
quick01snake: I know someone who put a DOHC 4.6 in his GT.. Nothing was required to install and run.. The only difference in the 96-98 and the 99-01 are the IMRC's. The 96-98 had IMRC's and the 99+ didn't. Yes these engines have knock sensors that the GT computer doesn't read but He had no problems with the stock wiring or computer.. He did however get a dyno tune done to maximize the performance.

TTAFB_SVT:
The 5.4 will need a few things depending on how you go about getting the engine, shortblock/longblock, or complete Navigator engine.

The intake can be purchased from HCI (Hamilton Clarke Industries). They already have the stuffto produce an intake that will fit the 96-98 heads.. These are the heads I'm using. They were the last time I spoke with them working on the intake for the 99+heads (DOHC). I however am fabricating/modifying an intake for mine.

The motor mounts are the same. The 6Spd is your choice. I am using a Tremmec 3550. You can bolt up a stock 5 Spd to the engine though. Seen it done too. The person I bought my engine from did just that.. The only change is that the flywheel is a Cobra one as the bolt pattern is for the Cobra flywheel.

I'm not going to upgrade anything in the rear end but if you are anticipating drag racing, I would upgrade some of the components in the rear end...

Here is a link to a thread about all the swap.

http://www.corral.net/forums/showthread.php?threadid=10896&referrerid=7225

Enjoy.
Matt

TTAFB_SVT

BETHA'S BACK !!!!!!!
Established Member
Are there any big differences or any at all between the Navi 5.4 and the 00R 5.4? I thought that I have read somewhere that mackenzie mustangs or someone sells a crate motor straight outta the Cobra R? Maybe I'm nuts or something but this was my original plan. I would definetly love to pop the hood of GT and see that Cobra R intake cover. Anyone know?

JKCOBRA98

Established Member
No "R" crate motors available! The parts aren't even available from Ford.

The Navi motor is close except for the rods pistons and the custom heads.

Same block and crank.

There are quite a few people using the Navi motor and customizing the Navi intake as it is already wide enough to fit.

The Navi intake is just very large/tall. It wont fit under any mustang hood.

You can build it up the way you want it or have it built. Either way it will be a unique mustang.

You have to modify or fabricate your own intake for the 5.4 DOHC if you don't want to spend 2K on one frm HCI.

Thanks,
Matt

Users who are viewing this thread