5.3 boss FRPP short block

93oh

Established Member
Kinda tired of waiting on a build, have the heads done want to just bolt it up and be done. Can I use the 5.3 high compression on my cobra? With ported eaton for now? I know it has over 10-1 compression but low/stock boost and good tune? Anyone do this?

SlowSVT

Established Member
Is this the FRPP short block?

Ford is getting rid of their mod motor inventory so they can focus on their newer engines. From what I have been told they shipped their Boss blocks to a 3rd party to be sold-off as assembled motors. Do they have Manley H-beam rods? I am not sure about the origins of the cranks in these engines Kellogg stopped making them a while ago and I have heard about Chinese cranks in the pipeline that's something I would look into.

On a PD blown car running pump gas 10:1 would not be my first choice but plenty of people do without problems you just can't pack as much boost into the engine. How tight are the pistons in the cylinder? If they're .001 - .0025 that's not ideal .003 - .0035 is preferable.

The Boss block is pretty beefy and should make a great foundation for an engine you expect to get many miles from. If the crank, rods and pistons checkout OK and the price is right this could be a good deal.

Not crazy about the rings being installed in an engine and left on the shelf for any lengths of time as they will lose some of their resiliency before they get a chance to seat at initial start-up. I would almost be tempted to replace them.

Does this engine come with an oil pump? Get billet gears regardless.

Users who are viewing this thread