5.3 4v swapped '01 Bullitt first startup issues!

ninety5fiveoh

DHG FTW!
Established Member
Over the last 8 months, I've done a complete '03 cobra swap into my '01 Bullitt. I swapped the entire drivetrain, as well as all the wiring harnesses and the gas tank. The motor is a 5.3 4v stroker, stage 3 MMR ported heads, Comp stage 2 blower cams, TVS blower, Fore return system, etc etc.

Yesterday I tried firing the car for the first time since I completed the swap. I got the startup tune from Pete @ Performance Dyno who will be tuning the car, loaded it in, and tried firing it and the car started but wouldn't stay alive. As you can see in the video below, I had to keep giving it gas to keep it running, and it was blowing quite a bit of smoke out the tailpipes that smelled like unburnt fuel.

I checked all my vacuum lines and they are all fine, I checked the vac line next to the FRPS to make sure it didn't smell like gas, alluding to a bad FRPS...thats fine. Currently I have the PCV deleted as I'm going to be running a breather tank setup. The tune that Pete sent me was the tune was actually from the previous owner of my donor car who didn't have the PCV deleted. Only change Pete made to the tune to my knowledge is changing it to a return fuel system. Does having the PCV deleted make a drastic change in the tune? Enough to keep it from running? If so, that could possibly be the issue, but that doesn't explain the fuel scented smoke coming from the tailpipes. The motor has about 2000 miles on it and it ran prior to the swap completely fine, and it has 80psi+ of oil pressure. Once of the reasons I purchased this donor vehicle was I was able to go to the PO's house and hear it run first.

If anyone has any suggestions of things for me to check out, that would be great!

EDIT:

Here's a video my wife took of the first fire up. You can see the smoke in the garage that I mention above...

[video=youtube;bZcocxFmMm8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZcocxFmMm8[/video]

Last edited:

speeddemon2000

Established Member
When I change to a return setup my fuel pressure regulator diaphragm ruptured and fuel was going straight out the vacuum port on the regulator and filling the lower intake below the supercharger with fuel. So check your regulator.

You could also disconnect the FRPS sensor. When I tried that once and logged the data from the FRPS it showed a constant 38 psi. You can then adjust your fuel pressure down on you regulator which should lean things out. If that solves your problem the tuner may have specified the wrong injector values in the tune.

ninety5fiveoh

DHG FTW!
Established Member
When I change to a return setup my fuel pressure regulator diaphragm ruptured and fuel was going straight out the vacuum port on the regulator and filling the lower intake below the supercharger with fuel. So check your regulator.

You could also disconnect the FRPS sensor. When I tried that once and logged the data from the FRPS it showed a constant 38 psi. You can then adjust your fuel pressure down on you regulator which should lean things out. If that solves your problem the tuner may have specified the wrong injector values in the tune.

Thanks for the heads up. I did try disconnecting the FRPS plug and that did not work. I pulled the vacuum line off the FPRS and smelled it immediately after attempting to fire it, and it did not smell.

He sent me another tune last night that was leaned out, and that didn't work either.

Did you keep the same MAF and injectors?

I changed the MAF from a slot style to a BA3000, the injectors are the same Siemens Deka 80's that were in the car when I bought it. When I emailed my tuner for a startup tune, I specified that my MAF changed as well, hopefully he caught on.

01yellercobra

Established Member
Unplug the MAF and see if it starts that way. I'm going to guess your tuner missed that you changed the MAF.

speeddemon2000

Established Member
Unplug the MAF and see if it starts that way. I'm going to guess your tuner missed that you changed the MAF.

Could be an issue with the MAF in the tune. The video above is how my car ran when the Intake tube had disconnected from the throttle body, which allowed un-metered air past the MAF.

ninety5fiveoh

DHG FTW!
Established Member
Could be an issue with the MAF in the tune. The video above is how my car ran when the Intake tube had disconnected from the throttle body, which allowed un-metered air past the MAF.

Yea that could be it. I resend my mod list with specifics to the tuner and he is going to look at the tune and make sure everything is set properly.

In the meantime I need to change the freeze plug on top of the drivers side head in the back because its leaking...joy of joys.

ninety5fiveoh

DHG FTW!
Established Member
UPDATE:

All 8 plugs have an equal amount of oil on the electrodes that's smells like gas. I smelled the dipstick and it too smelled like gas, so I dumped the oil. It smelled like gas as well. Could the frps be bad, even though the vacuum line doesn't smell like fuel?

Users who are viewing this thread