5.0L with forged pistons

66dvlbrd68

Established Member
Hello SVTPerformance people. :)

I wanted to ask a quick question. A friend of mine picked up a 5.0L short block from a guy here in town. It's from an fuel injected Fox-body Mustang (roller block, I think they said '87).

We've heard that some Fox bodies came with forged pistons, while later 5.0L's (SN-95) didn't. However, I am not sure, and neither are they.

Does anyone have a listing of stock casting numbers (on the block) that would indicate that the pistons within are forged? Are there ways to visually tell the piston is forged? I think they said there was a stamping (TWR) somewhere (on the piston...or the block...I'm not sure as I've not seen it with my own eyes).

If anyone can point me in the right direction with a chart, article, or list that provides the information requested above, I (and my friends as well) would greatly appreciate it.

Also, I apologize for being so vague. I've not seen the short block with my own eyes, so I'm just going off what I hear on the phone....

Moderators, feel free to move this to a forum where it will get more responses, or is more appropriate.

Thank you all for your time!

:burnout:

SVTour99

Up and Coming SVT Poster
Established Member
If I recall correctly 90-92 had forged but earlier 5.0's could very well have them. but I do know for sure that in 93 they went to hypereutectic(sp?)

Users who are viewing this thread