5,000 Mile Original Owner 2000 Mustang GT 5-Speed

fduve

Established Member
I'm thinking about selling her and was wondering what she might be worth. This car has been covered inside my garage since I bought her new in 2000, never driven in the rain and has never had any modifications. The only thing that is not original on this car is the gas, oil and oil filter. It gets driven about 500 miles every year only if the weather is nice. I have the original window sticker preserved without a wrinkle and the new car smell is just as strong as day one! She is absolutely perfect and flawless!

Premium GT Package includes Dark Grey Leather seats, 17" Aluminum Wheels, Mach 460 Sound System with CD player etc. The exterior color is Silver Metallic.

The Kelley Blue Book says that it's worth $9,000 but that's not nearly enough for a car that's still basically brand new. I was thinking more like around $19,500?

Let me know what you guys think. Thank You for your help!

burkej62

Established Member
Well, it dosen't hurt to think that but realistically, no not even close. For that kind of money your getting into cobra teritory...

PistolWhip

Resident Man Dime
Established Member
Man, I applaud your restraint in keeping that car under a cover in the garage, but I fear your aiming way high. It's just not a car that has high demand and as stated above, for that kind of money one could get into a mid mileage Cobra, which in the end will hold its value much better due to the low build numbers. I think you'd be better served by either keeping it as you have, under a cover and in the garage, for a looooong time until it becomes a classic and maybe more desirable as a collector, or go out and enjoy that car as it was intended.
You may be able to find a very specific niche of a market for this car, but its likely gonna be a long process and you'll need to keep posting ads like this all over the net. Even then, I find it hard to believe that anyone at this point in time, would spend almost $20k on a car that has little collector value, no real outstanding performance characteristics and is ultimately 1 of millions (minus it's lack of use of course)... I think a more realistic goal or expectation would be a few thousand over blue book and even then you'll need to find a specific niche type buyer.

Disclaimer:
I only posted this because it seems that your asking for an opinion. If that's not your intension here, just let me know and I'll erase this entire post. I'm not one to post in for sale ads when I have no interest in purchasing and I flat out hate when people post worthless price bashing or hater fuel, so like I said, I'm just offering you my opinion because I thought that's what you were asking for.

fire_4_effect

Motorsports = Expensive!
Established Member
Man, I applaud your restraint in keeping that car under a cover in the garage, but I fear your aiming way high. It's just not a car that has high demand and as stated above, for that kind of money one could get into a mid mileage Cobra, which in the end will hold its value much better due to the low build numbers. I think you'd be better served by either keeping it as you have, under a cover and in the garage, for a looooong time until it becomes a classic and maybe more desirable as a collector, or go out and enjoy that car as it was intended.
You may be able to find a very specific niche of a market for this car, but its likely gonna be a long process and you'll need to keep posting ads like this all over the net. Even then, I find it hard to believe that anyone at this point in time, would spend almost $20k on a car that has little collector value, no real outstanding performance characteristics and is ultimately 1 of millions (minus it's lack of use of course)... I think a more realistic goal or expectation would be a few thousand over blue book and even then you'll need to find a specific niche type buyer.

Disclaimer:
I only posted this because it seems that your asking for an opinion. If that's not your intension here, just let me know and I'll erase this entire post. I'm not one to post in for sale ads when I have no interest in purchasing and I flat out hate when people post worthless price bashing or hater fuel, so like I said, I'm just offering you my opinion because I thought that's what you were asking for.

nicely stated :thumbsup:

SNCBOOM

Established Member
I'm going to side with PistolWhip, that is way too high for the car you have. It's not very likely that anyone would take a second look at your car at $19.5k. Although, I would think that $12-13k is probably around a realistic figure. Then again, you never know.

Why don't you go ahead and make a for sale thread on here with pics? This site does get a lot of traffic.

Wishing4Cobra

Established Member
Its sad seeing a GT with only 5,000 miles. I'm pretty sure you wont get 19k out of it, but maybe if you keep it for 20-30 more years it'll be worth something.

fduve

Established Member
Thank You everyone for your input. I will post a for sale thread on here with pictures soon and see what happens. I may try selling it on eBay or through Hemmings Motor News.

Last edited:

BSXrad

Rocking Your Socks Off
Established Member
I thought I was doing good to get 7450 out of my 2000 with 79k and a few appearance mods. Sounds like the perfect used car to get though but you would probably be looking at 14k at the highest. Nice to see cars out there though that are in such good shape

fiveohpoepoe

Established Member
Props to the members keeping it friendly. I agree, although extremely low miles and prob as close to new as you can get[frankly speaking] there just isnt much demand for an unmolested GT. IMO, $10-$12k. Keep it and enjoy it

Deftones

Established Member
Dam she is a beauty. I had this exact car and purchased mine new in 2000. Sam color and options. At the time I paid $24k for it, and sold a few years later with 134k miles on it. and got $8,500 for it, but it was heavily modded. I miss it and if I was in the market I would buy this just for memory purposes. You will sell it, but not for $19k and someone will get a very nice ride. Good luck with the sell.

Stroked03Cobra

SVT Crazy!
Established Member
Hey, Nice looking car. Ill try to give some input. I just sold my 2002 Mineral Gray with tan interior with 16,000 orig miles for $13,000... and i wish i had 5 more to sell. I could have got more for it but I have the first guy a chance to finance and he got it. It did have saleen wheels, 3,73 gears and a few very minor bolt ons. Depending on how motivated you are also depends on how much you sell for.

ShortThrow50

Always buyin cheap tires
Established Member
You would be lucky to get 11k for it. If it was an 02 GT like the guy above, you would get what he got most likely. 2002 had enough cosmetic changes to make it more appealing and sought after. Not being a hater but your just dreaming if you think your gonna get close to 20k for a 2000 Gt. What were your intentions with preserving this car like you did? Just asking

ttbit

Long Time Mustang Fan
Established Member
Thanks for sharing the pics. Too bad you didn't have a limited edition Mustang like the Bullitt. You might get closer to what you are asking. It hurts also that the Mustang keeps getting better, unlike the mid 70's where nothing was worth a darn-- driving old cars values up over the years. Now people want to sell their older Mustangs to get the latest and greatest.

Good luck! You never know who you might find that wants it.

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
The mustang is not valuable because it has new parts as you describe its valuable based on time and place. In 2004 its time was up based on the new 05 mustangs hitting the lots. And now its value has dropped again since the 11 v6 does everything it used to do but better with a nicer package both inside and out.

That puts us back to place. When in comparison to the 03/04 mustang svt the mach one and eventhe bullitt of 01 its value will be adjusted accordinly.

Will it be reliable yes but no more so than a 30k mustang bullitt. What would you pay more for to own today?

fduve

Established Member
You would be lucky to get 11k for it. If it was an 02 GT like the guy above, you would get what he got most likely. 2002 had enough cosmetic changes to make it more appealing and sought after. Not being a hater but your just dreaming if you think your gonna get close to 20k for a 2000 Gt. What were your intentions with preserving this car like you did? Just asking

Preserving this car was not my intention, I just don't have the time to drive it.

Grant Theft Auto

I hit deer.
Established Member
Thanks for sharing the pics. Too bad you didn't have a limited edition Mustang like the Bullitt. You might get closer to what you are asking. It hurts also that the Mustang keeps getting better, unlike the mid 70's where nothing was worth a darn-- driving old cars values up over the years. Now people want to sell their older Mustangs to get the latest and greatest.

Good luck! You never know who you might find that wants it.

or too bad he doesnt actually have a real limited edition GT :D

ttbit

Long Time Mustang Fan
Established Member
or too bad he doesnt actually have a real limited edition GT :D

SOOO many people say they have a 35th anniversary edition when they don't. It's like saying you have a Bullitt because you have Bullitt wheels. The 35th aniv GT seems to be really rare. I thought about one when they first came out. So yeah...that would help him too.

--edit--- Crazy! I just pulled up the local Craigslist and look what was at the top of the list!
http://knoxville.craigslist.org/cto/1843514257.html

ok...and one that isn't:
http://knoxville.craigslist.org/cto/1841886178.html

Only happens when you talk about it...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread