5.0 vs 03 Cobra

choate

Drive with a sparkling glove on your shift hand
Established Member
Just throwing this out there a wet nitrous kit that only comes on at wot and has nozzles that allow from anywhere from 50-150hp can be had for the coyote for like $750. Just saying.

zinc03svt

Big Red
Established Member
Honestly just a tuned and upper pullied cobra is pretty close to mild bolt on coyote tuned right. I have had both. My 03 with 2.80, K&N Fipk, magnaflow axle back was making 460/472 whp at Steeda back in 2005. On street tires at Palm Beach (sea level) ran 12.6 @ 116. My current car with just cj intake, tb, orx was running 12.1's at 1500' in Missouri @ 116 mph full weight and stock Nero 245's. Street tire to street tire my 5.0 auto is going to win most dig races. Now on dr or slicks the cobra would have the advantage for sure. From a roll it's close IMO.

Rob_Stylez

Established Member
Exactly. I own a 2012 5.0 tuned with or X and readily admit a pullied cobra w tune and I'm toast. Some guys just can't accept that but it's science. A dig race is totally different. 100%. We all know a 2.8" pulley cobra with a tune has 50 more hp and 75 more torque and is for the most part lighter than a coyote. Silver stangs video must have been against a stock terminator with a 2x4 block stuck under the gas petal

Coming from a die-hard Terminator fan boy...

Silver Stang's 11 Coyote is retardly fast, on his current setup, he's clocked a best of 11.7 @119 (and he missed 4th on that pass lol). Id say hes beatn 95% of the NA coyotes hes raced, hes beatn all of the pullied/tuned/exhaust Terminators that Ive seen him race, he also keeps up with another buddy of ours that has a 09 Shelby (546RWHP on Shelby) and hes beaten multiple vetts camaros etc.

Alot of people think he's spraying but he is 100% NA, had I not seen these races and his track time I wouldnt believe it either, but yes hes that fast. He would have easily beatn my SY Terminator (pully/dyno tune/exhaust) and unfortunately, he beats my 15 5.0 (SW LT, Borla ATAK Cat, Lund Flex Fuel, JLT)

He has lost his fair share too, lighter, supercharged, Nitrous cars.

**Oh and I would say Terminators and Coyotes arent too far off in weight, my 15 Premium weighed in at 3740 100% stock, my SB hard top Cobra weighed 3660

Last edited:

Rios302

Established Member
Exactly. I own a 2012 5.0 tuned with or X and readily admit a pullied cobra w tune and I'm toast. Some guys just can't accept that but it's science. A dig race is totally different. 100%. We all know a 2.8" pulley cobra with a tune has 50 more hp and 75 more torque and is for the most part lighter than a coyote. Silver stangs video must have been against a stock terminator with a 2x4 block stuck under the gas petal
I agree the Terminators make more power with bolt ons however I think the 2011-2014 coyotes are slightly lighter by at least 60 lbs. Mine for example was 3600 lbs with a full tank, my friends 2013 Boss 302 was also 3600 lbs while a 2004 Cobra Coupe came out to 3685 lbs also with a full tank of fuel. Also there are some non premium 5.0s that are even lighter than 3600 lbs. Unless you are referring to S550 Coyotes that is.

Rios302

Established Member
Honestly just a tuned and upper pullied cobra is pretty close to mild bolt on coyote tuned right. I have had both. My 03 with 2.80, K&N Fipk, magnaflow axle back was making 460/472 whp at Steeda back in 2005. On street tires at Palm Beach (sea level) ran 12.6 @ 116. My current car with just cj intake, tb, orx was running 12.1's at 1500' in Missouri @ 116 mph full weight and stock Nero 245's. Street tire to street tire my 5.0 auto is going to win most dig races. Now on dr or slicks the cobra would have the advantage for sure. From a roll it's close IMO.
I been wanting to get the Cobrajet set up but since no other 5.0 has shown my taillights I haven't had the urge to do so. In my are most 5.0s have intake, and exhaust. Perhaps the new Camaro SS might do the trick.

Last edited:

zinc03svt

Big Red
Established Member
I been wanting to get the Cobrajet set up but since no other 5.0 has shown my taillights I haven't had the urge to do so. In my are most 5.0s have intake, and exhaust. Perhaps the new Camaro SS might do the trick.

2003 Cobra coupe weight 3666 (remember iron block and irs)
2014 GT/CS weight 3680 (cat scales certified 90% fuel)

It's not so much the peak power gains over stock IM, but the way the CJ (like) manifolds hold peak power from 6500-7800 rpms.

ATX5.0

Established Member
I agree the Terminators make more power with bolt ons however I think the 2011-2014 coyotes are slightly lighter by at least 60 lbs. Mine for example was 3600 lbs with a full tank, my friends 2013 Boss 302 was also 3600 lbs while a 2004 Cobra Coupe came out to 3685 lbs also with a full tank of fuel. Also there are some non premium 5.0s that are even lighter than 3600 lbs. Unless you are referring to S550 Coyotes that is.

I didn't expect my car to weight in at 3496 with half a tank, Should be able to drop another 20-40lb without getting to crazy. And yes I agree, the 03/04 cobras do make more whp with bolt ons. I believe it comes down to personal preference between the cobra and GT. If I had the funds, an 03/04 would be in my garage today along with the GT.

Rios302

Established Member
2003 Cobra coupe weight 3666 (remember iron block and irs)
2014 GT/CS weight 3680 (cat scales certified 90% fuel)

It's not so much the peak power gains over stock IM, but the way the CJ (like) manifolds hold peak power from 6500-7800 rpms.
If it's your car you are talking about, it makes sense, A6 are slightly heavier. My 2011 GT brembo pack with premium interior was 3600 lbs with a full tank, it now weights 3580 lbs due to lighter wheels and exhaust.

Also According to Edmunds: " ...Ford says the 2011 Mustang GT has a curb weight of just 3,605 pounds, (our scales say 3,620 pounds)
Motortrend lists the 2011 GT at 3616 lbs while a 2013 Mustang GT with leather Recaros was listed at 3650 lbs by Car and Driver which is still lighter than the 3666 lbs you listed for the Cobra. But you are right the Auto is probably slightly heavier. The only weight I was able to find of the 2003 Cobra was Car and Driver which lists it's weight at 3680 lbs.

So I suppose there are heavier or weight just as heavy as a Terminator, but I still think the Manual version of the 5.0 is a bit lighter than the Termis. well at least mine was. Here is a video of my 2011 GT at the scale. [video=youtube;qEEUd48zYY4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qEEUd48zYY4[/video]

Last edited:

Rios302

Established Member
I didn't expect my car to weight in at 3496 with half a tank, Should be able to drop another 20-40lb without getting to crazy. And yes I agree, the 03/04 cobras do make more whp with bolt ons. I believe it comes down to personal preference between the cobra and GT. If I had the funds, an 03/04 would be in my garage today along with the GT.
That's like 3540 lbs with a full tank. Is your car the base model? I heard those are slightly lighter than premium models.

ATX5.0

Established Member
That's like 3540 lbs with a full tank. Is your car the base model? I heard those are slightly lighter than premium models.

It's a 2012 BBP Gt with leather seats
Only Weight reduction so far:
taking out the rear seats,everything out of the trunk, lighter wheels, exhaust and suspension work and I think that's it.
I've got a pic of the car on the scale
and I will take some vids next time I go to the track.

R3dfireCobra

Established Member
Weight reduction does wonders for cars in every aspect. Crazy when I did a lot of my suspension and wheel stuff how much stuff weighed. Wheels, a k-member, and moving the battery to the trunk (for us sn95 guys) for ballast made the biggest difference. Also, small things like longtubes vs cast iron factory manifolds and x pipes with no cats probably dropped another 40-50 lbs.

dntalman

Yella Terra
Established Member
I spent a good 30 minutes arguing with this guy from the YouTube channel RWYB Racing about two videos he has up of him beating modded Terminators easily in his 5.0 and I told him no way but yet he argues his car "is just a freak". He has a Cobra Jet intake, Tune and OR Exhaust. I don't even think he has long tubes but to me it still wouldn't matter. Going up against a Cobra with a ported blower, exhaust, tune putting down 525/525 and his shows a dyno sheet of 425/375 and he pulls a car before they even shift gears. I told him no possible way unless it's got a blower but his video shows under the hood which I missed the first time b/c I skipped forward to the race. I told him it has to have spray or something. This proves it, or the video is fake. I ran my buddy who has an 03 Cobra, handheld tune, 2.76 upper and 4.10s and he got me by a car and a half from 40-120 and jumped nearly a full car right off the hit. Oh and he has a vert with 285 wide street tires - the ones in these videos were Terminator Coupes

I own both.. The Terminator is called that for a reason! That being said, my 15 makes 418/404 and has beat and been beaten by Terminators.. I have beaten cars I should not beat and lost to Cobra's that I feel I should of been able to beat... There are so many variables in every race!! You have to admit that the Terminator has made its mark as one of the best performing cars ever built.... The new 5.0 is doing the same.. The new 5.0 is a work of art.. It is far more advanced than most engines.. It is a beast N/A and really shines with a power adder!! The Terminator engine is also more advanced than Chevrolet's engines.. There are a lot of fast Chevrolet cars. Big displacement motors that are easy to work on... I just feel that the WOW factor is missing with Chevrolet in the motor department.. I pop the hood on any new Chevrolet and see my old 68 Camaro..The single cam motor is a little out dated... That is why I am a Ford guy!!

mustangmanjeff

Established Member

the weight comment isnt true, a 2011-2014 coyote 5.0 gtcoupe is 3600lbs 3700lbs fully loaded. the 2015+ on other hand is like 3600-3800+lbs. a 03-04 cobra was rated at 3650lbs curb weight. so they both weigh the same the 2015+ gt is heavier though based on options.

2015+ base model weighs approx same as a 03-04 cobra both stock weight. now add the options to the 2015+ it will be 50-200+lbs heavier.

The 2011-2014 gts are 3600-3700lbs so give or take 50-80lbs max diffrence stock curb weight of both. the drivers weigh and options will make the diffrence or drivers race. stock vs stock,

Last edited:

Serpent

Bike or Cobra?
Established Member
The 2011-2014 gts are 3600-3700lbs so give or take 50-80lbs max diffrence stock curb weight of both. the drivers weigh and options will make the diffrence or drivers race. stock vs stock,
The base manual 5.0 with cloth seats and two piston front brakes are around mid 3500s. Remove the rear spare and you're in the low 3500s. Just a k-member away and maybe even exhaust mods for good measure to be in the 34xx.

This 5.0 that left the cobra is probably full boltons with weight reduction. You can see it doesnt even have exhaust so its loud as hell. I wouldnt doubt this car being gutted to all hell since its running 11.7. Solid axle cars are lighter and hook.

Grabber

Yep...
Established Member
Non-gutted full bolt-on 5.0's have gone faster than 11.7's many a time.....

If they were running 10's N/A with bolt-ons, stock cams, then I'd say they have a gutted car with every bolt-on under the sun.

choate

Drive with a sparkling glove on your shift hand
Established Member
Since my initial reply I have purchased an 03 cobra with a 2.93 upper, CAI, OR X and stingers with a 93 dyno tune. My daily is a 2012 5.0 with OR X, 93 tune and CAI. No weight reduction, no Boss or CJ intake etc. I can tell you 100% for sure and it's not by train lengths but the cobra would beat the 5.0 the way they set now handly. Maybe it's just the feel of it I don't know but the PO said it did 11.78 at the track and I believe it. I did 12.305 in the 5.0 last year and I think those numbers sound about right. On the fun factor, the cobra feels like a race car and the 5.0 always feels like a Lincoln when I get back it. Cobra puts a smile on my face like no other car ever has

DarkMach1

Established Member
Too many wack ass tuned coyotes out there running no faster tuned than they would be without a tune. Most dont take the time to validate their tune is good or send logs to the tuners. Then you see a coyote with bolt ons running its ass off and everyone claims its sprayed and gutted. A properly setup boss or CJ coyote with a solid tune will surprise most bolt on cobras.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread