5.0 Vererans, need advice on Ex 5.0

nik96

Established Member
I know a bit about 5.0 variations but I am no expert and I am about to embark on a unique swap... I am currently building an Explorer(98) 5.0 to be swapped into a '76 mercedes 280.

I'd like the car to have near 300 hp and behave with the stock Explorer ECU. My plan is top add a mild cam(thinking E), headers and a simple tune. My questions is, being equipped with a C4, what would be a good cam to suit my needs and will I need new roller rockers? I belive the stock rockers are 1.6 but will they be ok with a bumpyer cam? Also is there anything else I should consider before it all comes together?

I selected the Explorer 5.0 for it's heads and decent intake design. Also I got a very good deal on it, locally. Thoughts, suggestions? Any advice or a link to a more specific discussion will be appreciated :burnout:

wheelhopper

Established Member
If you're shooting for 300rwhp, you are going to have a hard time without replacing the heads with some aftermarket ones.

There are few other factors as well, injector size, throttle body size, etc.

KingBlack

I'm more stupid than I post
Established Member
you can get near 300 rwhp with the gt40 top end...im not a fan of the letter cams outside of the x303 and z303(thats whats in my 306) but for your case id look at a tfs 2. the mb is nopt heavy so the 302 will have no issues moving it. dont be afraid to cam it, the duration is what you should avoid, more so then lift.

or just buy some afr 165's from craigslist and be done with it

Users who are viewing this thread