5.0 stroker power

canadiancobra

Established Member
Some of you might have read my previous post but i melted number 7 piston a few months ago. I am getting ready to do a rebuild. I am in canada so every thing cost more money do to shipping. I have found a shop which is within 3h of me that has done a few shelbys and 6 or 7 cobras and just got a new dyno installed and they seem to have a bit of experience whith these cars so i think i will go with them. All current mods are in my sig. The quote they gave me is 12g, that is with a new livernois 5.0 stroker with all arp hardwhere, upgraded fuel pumps, head cooling mod, gaskets, sct tunner, 17-18 psi pully, belt, 60lbs injectors, degreeing stock camshafts, dyno time and all labor and all mis parts. My question is what kind or power can i expect from this combow he said around 600-625 on his mustang dyno. I want a tune for 94 octane, 91 octane, then an super super super safe tune so that i never have to go through this shit again or else i will be devorced and living on the street if you no what i mean. If this happends again i will have to sell the car as I cant afford this kind of money every few years and i just got the car. I will be installing a j@s saftguard knock controle system but this will wait till after the car is done so about a year. Thanks for you help everyone on this site is great P S is there anything else i shoud be doing while it is apart remember money is a issue nessesites not wants

Last edited:

1Kona_Venom

US Army (Ret)
Established Member
Premium Member
I'm not...the subject matter expert at all. Couple thoughts here,

Would it be more feasible get motor built have it shipped within the states to a shop that you could then take the car to have install done?

Would the trailering or getting the car to a reputable shop close to you in the states be more cost effective?

Possible to take car to said shop, rebuild rework the stock motor, if the block is salvageable and replace with new rotating assembly, clean the heads etc?

And then maybe someone could chime in, that does know for sure, with your existing 2.3 Whipple is it better suited for a 4.6 versus the 5.0 motor? I.e. IATS, working harder etc?

Just some thoughts I hope this works out for you

Last edited:

canadiancobra

Established Member
I'm not...the subject matter expert at all. Couple thoughts here,

Would it be more feasible get motor built have it shipped within the states to a shop that you could then take the car to have install done?

Would the trailering or getting the car to a reputable shop close to you in the states be more cost effective?

Possible to take car to said shop, rebuild rework the stock motor, if the block is salvageable and replace with new rotating assembly, clean the heads etc?

And then maybe someone could chime in, that does know for sure, with your existing 2.3 Whipple is it better suited for a 4.6 versus the 5.0 motor? I.e. IATS, working harder etc?

Just some thoughts I hope this works out for you
The closesed boarder crosing to me is a 6h drive North Dokota the cost would be high. The short block they said they could get me was 5200 incloulding shipping which is not bad. All of your other questions i dont know any help would be great. The shop told me about 30-40 hrs labour to do the swap and degree cams

Last edited:

cobra fern

Established Member
hi canadian cobra .which shop is that in canada that you found to do that work for you.i am in the same boat as you .i would rather have mine rebuit in canada also.i hope i can get away with a rebuild with new pistons .pm if you dont want to tell the shop .thanks for any help

canadiancobra

Established Member
hi canadian cobra .which shop is that in canada that you found to do that work for you.i am in the same boat as you .i would rather have mine rebuit in canada also.i hope i can get away with a rebuild with new pistons .pm if you dont want to tell the shop .thanks for any help

MRL performance in Wainwright Alberta. I looked at the cost of just pistons but the price of machineing and labour was almost 4g and you still have a stock motor just with better pistons it is a better deal to get a new shortblock

Last edited:

D-MANN

Established Member
I've never heard anything bad about MRL so you should be in good hands. Another place you could try is Horsepower Solutions in Edmonton. They can build you your engine and do the tuning as well. Give them a call.

D-MANN

Established Member
thanks for the replies .how much do you think a rebuild would be .

I would give Bel engine services a call and get a quote on a rebuild.They are located in Edmonton.Get them to build you an engine and have HPS or MRL do the install and tune.Another thing you could do is look at a shortblock from MMR.Even having that shipped up to Canada may just be cheaper than a local rebuild.

Users who are viewing this thread