5.0 Stroker or 5.0 Big bore?????

98 N/A 4V

Established Member
You will get more power with a big bore but I'm not a fan a big bore due to the cylinder walls are too thin to spin to 7k. I hear alot of people have to replace rings. Stroker kit will give some decent gains but nothing compared to a big bore. But I haven't seen any posted gains with a stroker though. -Mark

Doug

That Person.
Established Member
stroker kit is much less expensive.

I personally have my doubts about sleeving the block, but it seems to be pretty durable so far.'

both will add a good deal of power gains. Figure around 1.2hp per extra cid (bout what stock is rated at) so at least 24hp.

What I like about the stroker is the torque curve. my curve is pretty darn flat for a mod motor, and i like that. Also, my 5.0 stroker picked up 160hp and 251ft/lbs of torque on an overrated compucar 125 shot.

Doug

That Person.
Established Member
The real power is gonna come from opening up the intake and getting some cams to take advantage of the 7k rpm powerband these cars have.

lookinfor cobra

Established Member
Talked to mark at mmr and he does stroker kits and says they spin 8500? with a set of good cams and some head work I want to get about 400 @ the wheels n/a is that realistic? thanks mike....

98 N/A 4V

Established Member
Originally posted by Doug
stroker kit is much less expensive.

I personally have my doubts about sleeving the block, but it seems to be pretty durable so far.'

both will add a good deal of power gains. Figure around 1.2hp per extra cid (bout what stock is rated at) so at least 24hp.

What I like about the stroker is the torque curve. my curve is pretty darn flat for a mod motor, and i like that. Also, my 5.0 stroker picked up 160hp and 251ft/lbs of torque on an overrated compucar 125 shot.

Doug, what did you gain w/ the stroker n/a? And also did you lose if any power in the upper rpms? I might want to go w/ a stroker when I upgrade the internals. Which kit did you go with?

-Mark

Doug

That Person.
Established Member
I really can't say as to how much i picked up. When my car was bone stock, i dynoed 227rwhp on a mustang dyno. before the motor blew up, i had no power mods. All i had were drivetrain upgrades and the spray.

With the stroker i dynoed 298/297 with a flat curve considering what most cobra graphs look like. The torque started falling off right as the horspower came online to carry it to redline. I really wish i ahd a dyno graph to show everyone. It may not have good peak numbers, but the curve is very nice.

If i had to do it over again, i would have let it sit another month so i could get some cams in the car. My dyno tuner garunteed me at least 60rwhp with a mild set of cams.

Phase two for my car is a set of cams and a new valve train. m I didn't have the money nor the patience to do it while the motor was down.

LookingforaCobra: i think 400rwhp is VERY realistic with either the big bore or the stroker. however, with either case its gonna require some MAJOR headwork and intake work. The bottleneck on these 96-98 motors is the intake. There is no two ways about it. It just plain sucks. Sure, you can hog it out and spin the piss out of the motor, but that's not really realistic in a street motor. I've been told by an NMRA engine builder that I need to shim my valvesprings and be shifting no less than 7600rpms....I don't like that idea, but he says I have no business being in the lower rpms with this motor.

Last edited:

lookinfor cobra

Established Member
Doug thats what I want ? the car will be an o/t car and never a daily driver will have full griggs suspension this winter....would love to make power @ 7600-8000 rpm and hes headwork is the key mark said he could get me the power Im looking for (he is a great guy ) so stroker souds like the rignt choice? thanks mike.....

Doug

That Person.
Established Member
i really can't answer that. I can only say what i've seen. I would talk to mark a little more and just express any concerns you have to him; he should be able to help you out a lot more than me. Remember, don't expect to make HUGE power gains on just discplacement alone. The heads and cams will be where the power comes from.

Users who are viewing this thread