5.0 Oil Change

SinisterSTANG

SVT
Established Member
I just changed the oil on my 95 and started searching on here to find out how many quarts the 5.0 takes. I come across some threads where it says to drain both plugs, problem is I only drained the one on the bottom, but the car was jacked up on a pretty steep angle with the front up in the air and the rear tires on the ground. Should that have been enough to drain the entire pan?? Only a very little bit of oil was dripping out by the time it was almost empty. Just want to make sure if it's ok or not, because I used 10w30 Mobil 1 and I have no idea what kind of oil was being used by the previous owner. The parts guy at my local auto store told me it wouldn't hurt anything if the last oil change was done with conventional oil.

bvysochin

Established Member
I wish you luck.. I had oil leaking from my seals the following week when I switched from regular oil to mobile 1 synthetic on my 95 GT a few years ago..

And yes, you should drain both plugs.. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but 5.0's take 5 quarts..

Dekorum

Established Member
I think it's 6 quarts. Screw synthetic, I would have stuck with conventional and used the Mobil 1 10w30 regular.

bad93snake

STREET405
Established Member
SINISTER, DRAIN THAT SHIT OUT!!!

I ALWAYS recommend using conventional oil in a boosted application, especially when its not a brand new engine and the previous owner was probably using conventional. switching to synthetic can cause build up to break loose and when you get into boost it will start pushing it past the rings. Even if the motor was brand new I'd never tell a customer/friend to use synthetic oin a supercharged motor.

I would highly recommend draining the Mobile 1 out (both plugs) and re-do your oil change with a conventional oil.

-J.

SublimeRT

'94 Slooowbraa
Established Member
It's 5 quarts. It's kind of a tough call. When I changed my oil, I had the front pretty high for changing the tranny. I'd say about a half a quart or so came out the front plug after draining the back one.

Slow95Cobra

Certified in SVT by Ford
Established Member
always always always take BOTH plugs out. its a dual sump pan, 2 qts. up front, 3 in the back... if you dont drain the front you get 7 qts of oil.. and some people still dont belive that to much oil is bad. the more you "overfill" the crankcase, the oil level gets to the point it starts to submerge the crankshaft.... causing it to "drag" through the oil.... which can lead to engine vibration. if anyway possible, try to change it on a flat surface... but if not.. once you drain and re-fill, check the oil before starting it... it will be about half a qt. high from the filter being dry... then you know your in the ballpark before ya start it. and a 5.0 takes 5 qts, unless it has a canton pan or what not installed

Venomous Cobra

ballinn!!!
Established Member
you have too pull both plugs..i changed mine last week i put 5 3/4 juts too be safe i used 10w-30 mobil 1 i started my car once too let the oil cirulate than the next time i started my car i had an extremely loud valve tap :shrug:

SinisterSTANG

SVT
Established Member
Alright, I only started it up a few times and took it for a drive around the block. I'm going to just do another complete oil change with conventional oil tom. morning.

bad93snake

STREET405
Established Member
SinisterSTANG said:
Alright, I only started it up a few times and took it for a drive around the block. I'm going to just do another complete oil change with conventional oil tom. morning.
Good choice bro...I know it sucks cause they don't give mobile 1 away but you're doing the right thing. Just make sure you pull both plugs and let it drain completely.

bad93snake

STREET405
Established Member
SinisterSTANG said:
You don't think I could have hurt anything by starting it and driving do you?
How long and how hard did you drive it?... don't freak out, the buildups not gonna break loose the moment synthetic touches it... I think you'll be fine, just watch for blow- by for the next few days.

Venomous Cobra

ballinn!!!
Established Member
hmm i wonder if i should go back too conventional oil my car has an extremely loud valve tap all of a sudden when i changed my oil (10w-30) mobil 1 synthetic :(

SinisterSTANG

SVT
Established Member
bad93snake said:
How long and how hard did you drive it?... don't freak out, the buildups not gonna break loose the moment synthetic touches it... I think you'll be fine, just watch for blow- by for the next few days.
Just started it up and drove it around the block, was probably running for a total of 10 minutes tops, no hard driving.

bad93snake

STREET405
Established Member
SinisterSTANG said:
Just started it up and drove it around the block, was probably running for a total of 10 minutes tops, no hard driving.
Ahh, you'll be fine...especially if you didn't get in the boost. Just sucks that you had to waste 5 qts of mobile 1...oh well, lesson learned. Venomous, how many miles were on your motor before you switched to synthetic?...how long have you been running it on it? What's done to the motor?...s/c?

Venomous Cobra

ballinn!!!
Established Member
bad93snake said:
Ahh, you'll be fine...especially if you didn't get in the boost. Just sucks that you had to waste 5 qts of mobile 1...oh well, lesson learned. Venomous, how many miles were on your motor before you switched to synthetic?...how long have you been running it on it? What's done to the motor?...s/c?
car has 54k original miles not sure how long he was running it i changed it last week..the car has under drive pullies,full exhaust,FPR, 65mm tb, ford racing 9mm wires, bbk cai, and a few other things (motor wise)

bad93snake

STREET405
Established Member
Venomous Cobra said:
car has 54k original miles not sure how long he was running it i changed it last week..the car has under drive pullies,full exhaust,FPR, 65mm tb, ford racing 9mm wires, bbk cai, and a few other things (motor wise)
Hmmm, I'm surprised you're gettin any valvetrain noise at that low a mileage. I'd compression test it and see what its holdin. You should be fine running synthetic in it. Basically, what I was saying is I'd never run synthetic in a boosted application...and never switch to synthetic on a high mileage engine that's been run on conventional. I'd check it though, figure out what's going on. -J.

SinisterSTANG

SVT
Established Member
I did another oil change today, 5 quarts of Mobil 10W30 Clean 5000, and Fram Oil Filter since the store was all out of Motorcraft. What kind of conventional oil do you guys use? I figured I'd just stick with Mobil, but was going to get Castrol GTX.

Quadcammer

4cams aren't better then1
Established Member
bad93snake said:
SINISTER, DRAIN THAT SHIT OUT!!!

I ALWAYS recommend using conventional oil in a boosted application, especially when its not a brand new engine and the previous owner was probably using conventional. switching to synthetic can cause build up to break loose and when you get into boost it will start pushing it past the rings. Even if the motor was brand new I'd never tell a customer/friend to use synthetic oin a supercharged motor.

I would highly recommend draining the Mobile 1 out (both plugs) and re-do your oil change with a conventional oil.

-J.
what in the hell kind of nonsense is this? Buildup? Buildup where? This buildup is going to get splashed up onto the pistons and past the rings?

Synthetic oil is fantastic for blown motors if the correct weight is used for the larger ring gaps and bearing clearance. With conventional oil, I would get a noticeable drop in oil pressure as I neared the oil change because the oil was breaking down due to some fuel dilution, and the heat from the blower.

After switching to German Castrol Syntec synthetic, there have been no issues whatsoever, and no oil pressure drop off. The blower is also significantly quieter.

Synthetic oil will not harm anything.

Users who are viewing this thread