5.0 notch vs 03 Cobra

TrickStang37

Established Member
I had just picked up my girlfriend, driving through her neighborhoods to hit the main streets when I saw a white notchback 5.0. Not sure if he saw me but he was looking hard at an white LS1 with altezzas that was close to him. It had an older guy in it so I didnt bother but the white notchback guy kept staring at it. Anyways, the 5.0 turned right and the LS1 went left. Lucky me, i was going right too.

we hit the expressway and he's a few car lengths in front of me when he starts making a little noise (exhaust, probably downshifted) and i tell my lady that this guy wants to race me i think. She laughs and She says he doesnt but i really thought he did that intentionally. We'll, next light we caught a red and both lined up. My girlfriend went on with the conversation we were havign (i wasnt really payin attention, you know where my focus was haha) and the guy was playing with the shifter at the light (5spd), so i knew it was a manual. It had atleast a cam from the sound of the lope and from the sound of the exhaust, sounded like o/r H with some sort of freeflowing mufflers (not chambered). other than that, i dont know anything else about the car.

Well the light went green and we both took off semi fast in first. I shifted to second slightly early and then he gunned it as did I about 1/2 second behind him, almost same time. Pulled a quick car on him in second, but only put on about another 1 - 1 1/4 cars to about 110mph, for a total of about 2 cars. He passed me as I hit the brakes and he made the first right possible. My girlfriend just laughed, i told her he wanted to race! I told her, ya, guys are dumb like that. She said the guy must have been pretty embarrassed.

he kept up pretty good, my car is feelin pretty slow to me!! people need to quit modding their cars! haha

Last edited:

TrickStang37

Established Member
nice kill. He def. had some mods to hold up to you that close. Good job.

ya, its been dancing around in my head as to what he had done. i had a heads/cam/weight reduction (3120lbs)/full bolton 5.0 before and it would trap 109's. This guy, obiviously, was running more power than that.

Last edited:

BayareaSS

Established Member
Good Kil but that must of been a pretty fast 5.0!

Wouldn't he have to have a better than stock motor and some internal mods to run with you like that?

ponyboyx04

Established Member
the weather is warming up and your use to the cold and increase in boost. i feal the same way about seeming like im running slow. i thing we got use to that extra bit of boost from the cold weather

TrickStang37

Established Member
Good Kil but that must of been a pretty fast 5.0!

Wouldn't he have to have a better than stock motor and some internal mods to run with you like that?

if i had to guess, i would THINK it probably was a 347w stroker. either that, or some weak (gt40 or gt40p or edelbrock performer) heads/intake/cam/supercharger (~ 6 psi) set up.

my girlfriend didn't add too much weight (95-100lbs) to my car so whatever it was runnin, if it was about 3100 lbs, he was prbably pushing 370rwhp or so if i had to guess.

sgt d

tejas mile!!!!!!!!
Established Member
if i had to guess, i would THINK it probably was a 347w stroker. either that, or some weak (gt40 or gt40p or edelbrock performer) heads/intake/cam/supercharger (~ 6 psi) set up.

my girlfriend didn't add too much weight (95-100lbs) to my car so whatever it was runnin, if it was about 3100 lbs, he was prbably pushing 370rwhp or so if i had to guess.

damn brother, feed the girlfriend..lol..

just playing!

i am currently building a notch with a 347, boss 302 block. afr 205's and a nasty cam, if we break 400 that should be a 11.5 car. so those things built up right can hang. what are you running at the track?

Adower

Established Member
I can tell you this. I have a buddy who has a gt that makes 370rwhp with his 347 stroker. He raced a 03 cobra that made 460rwhp on the freeway 2nd-top of forth and his nose was at the cobras mirrors.

TrickStang37

Established Member
damn brother, feed the girlfriend..lol..

just playing!

i am currently building a notch with a 347, boss 302 block. afr 205's and a nasty cam, if we break 400 that should be a 11.5 car. so those things built up right can hang. what are you running at the track?
haha she's only 5'0" so the proportions are good! :thumbsup:

ya i know 347's are capable of 400rwhp+, but most people would probably run smaller heads because the aftermarket is pretty flooded ($$) with them (performer, performer rpm, tfs, etc.).

black99lightnin

move along
Established Member
I've seen some stroker cars run low elevens on motor. Add spray, they're mid 12's. I had a 357(.30 351w) in an 85GT, went 11.3's on motor and it was hy roller cam. Factor a solid roller, and it coulda run some 10's.

TrickStang37

Established Member
must have been a quick 5.0 idk about a stroker though, prob just gears and a well put together h.c.i

i had a geared h/c 5.0 before. i pulled on the lowend easy, where gearing mostly helps, but he still held his own on the topend, indicating he was running some decent power. 360-370 rwhp is damn near impossible on a streetable 5.0. his cam didn't sound anything crazy. even that power out of a 347 isnt easy, it would still take a decently put together engine to get there.

TrickStang37

Established Member
I've seen some stroker cars run low elevens on motor. Add spray, they're mid 12's. I had a 357(.30 351w) in an 85GT, went 11.3's on motor and it was hy roller cam. Factor a solid roller, and it coulda run some 10's.
eh, i've heard of stock motor 5.0's hitting 12's.

and i'd rather deal with trap speeds because that's pretty much the type of race this was. there was no launching/spinning of tires.

black99lightnin

move along
Established Member
eh, i've heard of stock motor 5.0's hitting 12's.

and i'd rather deal with trap speeds because that's pretty much the type of race this was. there was no launching/spinning of tires.

My 351w went 11.3 @ 117.xx. My friends 347 which is more radical runs over 120 N/A. The right combo is all it takes.

For instance, my brother-in law just put together a LS1 Z28. 408, with L92 heads, futral cam, 3500 stall.....10.62 @126 on MOTOR. I feel like a fuggin retard with the Cobra after seeing his car. It's all in the combination.

TrickStang37

Established Member
My 351w went 11.3 @ 117.xx. My friends 347 which is more radical runs over 120 N/A. The right combo is all it takes.

For instance, my brother-in law just put together a LS1 Z28. 408, with L92 heads, futral cam, 3500 stall.....10.62 @126 on MOTOR. I feel like a fuggin retard with the Cobra after seeing his car. It's all in the combination.
im well aware of what cars can do with the right parts, i've seen them with my own eyes as well.

but the typical h/c/bolton street car that isnt gutted isnt going to be in that top 10% category most of the time. the vast majority of heads/cam/bolt on 5.0's will land in the 280-290rwhp range, with the better ones in the 290-310rwhp. the RARE ones will hit 330rwhp+. a typical h/c 5.0 would have a hard time with even just a light bolt on LS1.

there is a chance this guy sprayed i guess, i hadnt really thought of that.

black99lightnin

move along
Established Member
im well aware of what cars can do with the right parts, i've seen them with my own eyes as well.

but the typical h/c/bolton street car that isnt gutted isnt going to be in that top 10% category most of the time. the vast majority of heads/cam/bolt on 5.0's will land in the 280-290rwhp range, with the better ones in the 290-310rwhp. the RARE ones will hit 330rwhp+. a typical h/c 5.0 would have a hard time with even just a light bolt on LS1.

there is a chance this guy sprayed i guess, i hadnt really thought of that.

That or small turbo.

Users who are viewing this thread