5.0 Mustang vs LS2 Vette vs LS3 Vette

YELL03

Established Member
5.0 Mustang vs LS2 Vette vs LS3 Vette
I have owned all 3 and was interested in a comparison.

I ran two of my LS2 Vettes at the track, the automatic went 12.57@110 (1.92 60') with a Magnaflow catback and the manual ran a [email protected] (2.02 60') with a cai and Corsa catback.

I never ran my ls3 automatic, but it felt much faster than either ls2 & forget about my C6 Z06, that was insane.

Anyways....

I spent a couple of hours gathering dyno #s and track times for all 3 in stock configurations and here is what I found after averaging them out:

LS2 Vette - weight 3250 - 400hp
auto - 339rwhp (15% loss) - [email protected]
manual - 349rwhp (13% loss) - [email protected]

LS3 Vette - weight 3250 - 430hp-436hp w/ factory NPP exhaust (avg 433hp)
auto - 376rwhp (13% loss) - [email protected]
manual - 389rwhp (10% loss) - 12.2@117

5.0 Mustang - weight 3650 - 412hp
auto - 359rwhp (13% loss) - [email protected]
manual - 375rwhp (9% loss) - [email protected]

5.0 Mustang with a tune or tune and cai
auto - [email protected] - 377rwhp (tune only) - 389rwhp (tune and cai)
manual - [email protected]

Mustang #s were hard to come by and I tried to use only runs on stock tires.
All the Vette runs were on stock tires and completely factory stock down to the air filter.

I did not get dyno #s for the manual tranny with a tune, if people post them I will add it.

Keep in mind, the 5.0 is at a 400lb weight disadvantage to a c6 Vette, so we will need about 35rwhp to keep up just due to weight.

As for the LS2 - we have the rwhp covered stock for stock by 20rwhp auto and 26rwhp manual, but we need 35rwhp to cover the weight.

As you can see we should be off by 0.1-0.2:
auto Vette [email protected] beats the 5.0 [email protected]
manual Vette [email protected] beats the 5.0 [email protected]

The LS3 is an animal, the auto ls3 has us covered by 16rwhp + 35rwhp weight = 51rwhp and the manual has us covered by 14rwhp + 35rwhp weight = 49rwhp.

We should be off by 0.5-0.6 and it shows.
auto Vette [email protected] beats 5.0 [email protected]
manual Vette 12.2@117 beats 5.0 [email protected]

The tuned 5.0 evens things up with 377rwhp auto which equals the LS3 and the cai and tuned auto 389rwhp gets us a 13rwhp advantage.

However the 35rwhp due to weight still hurts us and we end up giving away 22rwhp auto vs auto.

Results for the auto LS3 vs a tuned 5.0
LS3 [email protected] to 5.0 [email protected]
You can see the 20rwhp in the trap speed, but only 0.1 difference in et.

I think after more times come in for the 5.0s at sea level tracks and with more track experience, the LS3 Vette vs the tuned and cai 5.0 will be a drivers race.

I think the 5.0 with one or two more minor mods will even it up or pull out a slight advantage.
I think maybe a midpipe with or without headers might do it.

See what happens when I have a couple of days off.

poppakap

The Anti Rice
Established Member
Thanks for the post. I appreciate it. I'm considering getting a new GT but I'm not used to having a little brother in the lineup.

YELL03

Established Member
Thanks for the post. I appreciate it. I'm considering getting a new GT but I'm not used to having a little brother in the lineup.

Thanks!

It was a real PITA trying to get info on the 5.0.

I love when people post up and don't say if they have an automatic or manual, I have to play Sherlock Holmes.

wbt

Banned
The answer to all your questions:

[youtube_browser]GM6u3VJg8Jk[/youtube_browser]

Last edited:

ChiSVT

SVT 4 Life
Established Member
Nice comparison. The LS3 C6s are just monsters, (like you said). :beer:

Considering they're fiberglass 2 seaters that cost about $15k more similarly equipped it's kind of hard to compare them though. The Corvette will also continue to get faster, the LS3 is a powerplant that's already been in the Corvette for 3 years running now. I'm sure GM has something up their sleeve in the near future. ;-)

Last edited:

wazslow

Established Member
I had an ls3 vette (brand new 2009), and I enjoy the 2011 5.0 more than the vette. The vette was fast (I had headers, airbox, tune), and had a certain cool factor, but I didnt like how stiff the ride was. The mustang is just an easier car to get in a drive, and for some reason I dont mind beating on the mustang a little...LOL

YELL03

Established Member
I had an ls3 vette (brand new 2009), and I enjoy the 2011 5.0 more than the vette. The vette was fast (I had headers, airbox, tune), and had a certain cool factor, but I didnt like how stiff the ride was. The mustang is just an easier car to get in a drive, and for some reason I dont mind beating on the mustang a little...LOL

I feel the same way.

Lifted07Duramax

Established Member
I have not driven ANY corvette. But Im interested in a 07 Z06 but my other choices are a new 5.0 or a 2010 GT500
Saving $10k on the new 5.0 is a huge factor to me as it could pay for a ton of upgrades.

Im looking for something Id want to drive EVERYDAY and comfortability.
Did the Z06 have that comfort factor? I dont need a lexus type comfort but if it can get annoying driving the Z06 then Id look more towards the 5.0

YELL03

Established Member
I have not driven ANY corvette. But Im interested in a 07 Z06 but my other choices are a new 5.0 or a 2010 GT500
Saving $10k on the new 5.0 is a huge factor to me as it could pay for a ton of upgrades.

Im looking for something Id want to drive EVERYDAY and comfortability.
Did the Z06 have that comfort factor? I dont need a lexus type comfort but if it can get annoying driving the Z06 then Id look more towards the 5.0

My biggest problem with Corvettes is getting in and out of them, they are very low and my back just doesn't like it very much.

Once in the car...
The Corvette seats are terrible (especially the Base seats, the LT2 upgrade is a little better).
You constantly end up sliding in to a slouch and having to pull yourself up.

The Mustang Seats are much better.

If you can get past the Vette seats and getting in and out, they are comfortable inside and ergonomically laid out well.

As for the C6 Z06...
It is pretty cool knowing you can smoke pretty much anything that pulls next to you (especially from a roll) if you can drive half decent.
Not many cars trap 125+ on the street on stock radials.
It is a special car.
For me it was too much car for the street.
On average a stock C6 Z runs 11.7@125

You can mildly modify a 2011 5.0 to run 11.7s, but it will trap 118-119.

Don't try to fly past a C6 Z06 once it is moving.

Last edited:

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
I really miss my Z06. It was a great car! Heck my LS2 powered C6 was also a great car.

However they are horribly impractical and the Z would break your back on anything but smooth pavement.

The 5.0 May not be as quick, but that compromise allows for a lot of other really great advantages. Not the least of which is less money out of my pocket.

Besides, the mustang community is much nicer.

Users who are viewing this thread