5.0 motor question

ShiftyFox

Established Member
So I've recently sold my fox body mustang and ordered a 13 f150 fx4 with a 5.0. My question is what's the difference between the 13 mustang 5.0 and the 13 f150 5.0 motor? Is it de-tuned or does it has different heads/intake that makes it have less hp.

sneaky94cobra

Established Member
I think

I also have a 2012 f-150 with a 5.0 and I have a coyote swap 94. I think the long block is the same, however the intake and exhaust manifolds are different. think they are rated at 385 instead of 412 hp. Hope this helps. I love my F-150, I think they are awesome trucks.

pufferfish

Established Member
i am reasonably sure, but no proof positive the part numbers are the same, of the
following:
-block is the same
-pistons are different (lower compression)
-connecting rods are the same
-intake cams are different
-exhaust cams are the same
-heads are the same
-cranks are different, but only by balance, just as the boss is only different from the gt by balance

i can't find anything on the intake manifold, but the visual says they are the same with the exception of the silver paint on the runners of the gt intake.

TClark22

Established Member
i am reasonably sure, but no proof positive the part numbers are the same, of the
following:
-block is the same
-pistons are different (lower compression)
-connecting rods are the same
-intake cams are different
-exhaust cams are the same
-heads are the same
-cranks are different, but only by balance, just as the boss is only different from the gt by balance

i can't find anything on the intake manifold, but the visual says they are the same with the exception of the silver paint on the runners of the gt intake.

I keep hearing that the heads are different, like valves cut differently or something. thought crank was the exact same

pufferfish

Established Member
well, I say I have no positive proof, because I have not seen the part numbers. I got my info from searching tousleyfordparts website. they don't list any part numbers, but the prices are the same between the gt and f150 heads. that doesn't immediately sound to reassuring, but consider every minuscule part number difference I have found in sourcing my current engine build from them, has resulted in a different price. ie main bearings: grade 1 is $13.54 and grade 2 is $11.19. the difference in the parts is 0.0003". so, that is where I get my confidence in the 2 heads being the same. it could be easily confirmed by steve powell at tousley. I believe they have their own section here run by him?

cranks are different prices, so they must be different part numbers. again, I am sure the gt, boss and f150 share the exact same part, just with a different balance due to the different pistons.

TClark22

Established Member
well, I say I have no positive proof, because I have not seen the part numbers. I got my info from searching tousleyfordparts website. they don't list any part numbers, but the prices are the same between the gt and f150 heads. that doesn't immediately sound to reassuring, but consider every minuscule part number difference I have found in sourcing my current engine build from them, has resulted in a different price. ie main bearings: grade 1 is $13.54 and grade 2 is $11.19. the difference in the parts is 0.0003". so, that is where I get my confidence in the 2 heads being the same. it could be easily confirmed by steve powell at tousley. I believe they have their own section here run by him?

cranks are different prices, so they must be different part numbers. again, I am sure the gt, boss and f150 share the exact same part, just with a different balance due to the different pistons.

lol i understand now

migg400

Established Member
I have spoken to various Tech guys over at Roush and they pretty much verified the differences/simirlarities of the two. They related the F150 to the Boss 302 with respect to them both having the same amount of TQ (380) rating and the oil cooler. I am boosting mine and they tell me that I can get 650HP safetly with the correct tune.

Users who are viewing this thread