5.0 MAGAZINE CAI SHOOTOUT!

JP DEMOLET

Established Member
I contacted 5.0 Magazines' tester, Dr. Jamie, yesterday, and he is going to test all my systems' variables.

I ordered the 9" conical K&N applicable to my system which he'll A-B with the 6" conical. It'll be interesting to see if there is a significant difference in performance. You will loose the "up" position and added length can affect idle quality which had been sorted out long ago on the current system so more R&D will be necessary if there's a difference in performance.

Another board member has suggested the S&D filter. I'll contact them today. I can have one of these A-Bd with upcoming customer dyno sessions.

I've sent my own meter (100mm) which will be tested by another board member to see if a meter matched to the systems' diameter will be worth development. I can produce and include these with the system for another $60.!!! The meter is 100mm i.d., CNCd sensor boss, CNCd flange. You couldn't ask for more laminar airflow....if it works.

My thanks to "Goldy" for all the R&D help and to all you guys for the orders and volunteering to help further the systems' dial-in. Let me know as you guys get dyno results and track times.

You guys are lucky as hell to have these 03' Cobras! The magic "425 crank HP" , as in the musclecar days, is only a tick away!

Not to mention the best styling since the GT 500 KRs!

Last edited:

46stang

Established Member
so your going to do some dyno testing with your system! 6in filter vs 9in filter? And a bigger maf sensor? This will be done on a 03 cobra yes? you may want to try it on a modified cobra as well!! as in pulley, exhaust!
Leon

raiders03

Banned
When will this issue be coming out? Will you be testing CAI systems with other mods such as exaust and pulley?

Dr. Jamie Meyer

Why would you lift?
Established Member
Guys,

I am testing several CAI systems plus airfilters.
I will be testing them all on a stock 03 and one with exhaust, pulley, and chip.
Testing will take place at Paul's Automotive Engineering in Cinci (513-561-8248). Most of the testing will be completed by next weekend (after BG), and the published issue will show up about 3 months after that.

Any suggests?
Thanks,
Jamie

LR 01 Cobra

Founding Member
Established Member
The test have not been done yet! It takes roughly 3 months from the time of the test till the story hits the shelf. I know Jamie will be jumping on all kinds of testing for the 03 Cobra. He's in LOVE with these cars. He reads this board, expect an answer from him as soon as he reads this!

Tim

Dr. Jamie Meyer

Why would you lift?
Established Member
Tim - you freak!
Are you ready for the pulley and chip?
Your car will probably go to 500 rwhp with those items? LOL

Thanks for posting on this,
Jamie

LR 01 Cobra

Founding Member
Established Member
Maximum Motorsports Sub Frame Connectors! I'll change my sig, your the 3 rd person to ask! LOL:D

Tim:idea:

46stang

Established Member
I'm really looking forward to seeing if the larger filter on the densecharger will be of any benefit!! especially on the modded cobra!!! Can't wait for your results:) Can you post the results or do we have to wait for 3 months??? thanks.
Leon

JP DEMOLET

Established Member
Jamie, I'll forward the 9" K&N to you today.

Bear in mind that we haven't used, and consequently, fitted this filter to the system. It's the same outer diameter but will probably only fit in the "down" position.

Theoretically, engineers will tell you the "up" position has to be superior due to less turbulence. But this changes with the "motion active variable". The overwhelming majority of past Cobra customers have preferred it "down". Even on our first 5.0 system the "down" position ruled and it's still the only 5.0 system with this position available.

I'll shoot that filter to you "2 day air" as it sounds like your wrapping things up quickly.

I really appreciate the help!

Dr. Jamie Meyer

Why would you lift?
Established Member
John,

I can tell there is a lot of confusion on this board as to which system to get. I won't proclaim a "winner" just help educate all of us on what these systems do for the 2003 Cobra. And, thanks for letting us get involved with your testing.

I won't be able to post the results on the board - that darned copy right stuff - but while you wait for that story to come out it will help everyone develop better stuff for these cars.

One more thing, I am going to include drag strip testing with these systems as well as dyno time. I think the open hood, controlled environment on the dyno my hide some of the effects of the fender-mounted system like the Densecharger.

Thanks again for the support,
Jamie

46stang

Established Member
quote:
One more thing, I am going to include drag strip testing with these systems as well as dyno time. I think the open hood, controlled environment on the dyno my hide some of the effects of the fender-mounted system like the Densecharger.

Excellent idea! the true test is at the track.imho. I look forward to the results!
leon

Users who are viewing this thread