5.0 in a 99-04 body

Samsred04gt

Not Banned
Established Member
Hey guys does anybody have any rite ups on somebody doing this I just picked up a 90lx 5.0 that I am going to pull the motor out of and would like to put it in a 99-04 gt body. Thanks guys

THE_STIG

Established Member
You can, I have seen someone do it before, only it was a V6 he put it into, not a GT, don't know if that makes a difference. Let me see if I can find his car.

EDIT: I can't find it anywhere but he took a V6 and put a 347 stroker in it. If you think about, 94/95 mustangs had 302s in them and they are not drastically different from 99-2004.

Last edited:

upside

AWD V8
Established Member
anything is possible. i have seen a procharged 408 windsor in an S197

homer302

Banned
Very worst case scenario is you would need a 94-95 Crossmember and motor mounts. I would say just stick with 94-95 type parts as much as possible. They are different than 99-04 but IDK if a 5.0 will bolt onto a New Edge crossmember. There is probably going to be an issue with the speedo too. Although it's not a full speedometer cable the 94-95 cars have like a hybred of a VSS and a speedo cable. The tranny actually has a gear in it and there is a little short cable that has a gear on it and then a sensor plugs in that.

I don't think this would be a very hard swap all things considered. I think it would be cool.

Samsred04gt

Not Banned
Established Member
Thanks for the responds guys, I am in the process of pulling the motor and trans and rebuilding it. As soon as I find a 99-04 body to put it in I will get started. I really think this project is going to be fun.

THE_STIG

Established Member
Thanks for the responds guys, I am in the process of pulling the motor and trans and rebuilding it. As soon as I find a 99-04 body to put it in I will get started. I really think this project is going to be fun.

There is a guy who put a viper motor into a 94-98 and if he can do that, then you can put a 5.0 into a 99-04 mustang lol

monkeyspunk79

A Van Down by the River.
Established Member
I would think you'd need a 94/95 K-member, and a carb'd 302. No computers, no worries :)

Stock emissions would be hard to pass in your part of IL though. They'll be looking for the OBDII connector and no codes... :(

Last edited:

BajaBoy

Established Member
I would think you'd need a 94/95 K-member, and a carb'd 302. No computers, no worries :)

Stock emissions would be hard to pass in your part of IL though. They'll be looking for the OBDII connector and no codes... :(

yupp.. very easy swap, just pick up a nice aftermarket k member. most support mods or pushrods.

Venomous98Cobra

Established Member
I was going to drop a 408 into my old 93 but emissions happened in our area and screwed that idea all to hell. Still pissed about that. Wanted my 408.

Animalmutha97

My mom says I'm cool
Established Member
My buddy put a 5.0 in a 97 gt. He did have to change the K-member along with a bunch of the wiring and the computer. Plus it also depends on your local Inspection/Emissions laws if you want to put it on the street. A full out track car would be no problem for this swap

Users who are viewing this thread