5.0 HO Cam

Soul Rebel

Tryin to get DIESEL!!!
Established Member
Didn't want to post this over on the nloc, and I kinda wanted to keep this forum alive, so my question is for those with the 5.0 HO cam. :thumbsup: I hear this cam is great for our trucks, even daily drivers. I also hear that advancing the cam helps, but for that you need something in addition to the cam and hardware. Is drivability a concern at all? My truck is pretty much my daily driver and was looking for a power adder. What kind of improvements will I expect on my basically stock truck? Thanks-Josh :rockon:

Matt95L

Established Member
Thats a great daily driver cam i've heard theres a little power drop below 3000 rpms,but after you should see a pretty good gain(Maybe 20hp).Idle and drivability should be as good or better than stock.I'd deffinately advance the cam a couple degrees to push the powerband down.

Last edited:

HOOK&GO

Established Member
It shouldnt cost too much if you get one from a mustang guy whos just put a new one in. Hell I threw my old one away from my last one. And to think I coulda charged a GEN 1 guy 5o bucks for mine :bash:

But seriously these cams should be in good shape any ways due to the roller lifters dont cause a lot of wear on those cams. As long as all the lifters wer in good shape, I would go for it.

Use plenty of lube ( assembly that is :D )

Matt95L

Established Member
Lightning Kid said:
How much would a 5.0 HO cam cost?

Usually about $50,but to do the swap you'll need a steel distributor gear,roller lifters,spider,dogbones,and pushrods.If you have a 93 Lightning you'll have to make sure yours has a roller block.Check this by looking just above the starter the cast number for roller blocks starts with f4te.

Here are some basic specs on the most commonly used cams.

Stock Lightning cam---200intake dur. 214exhaust dur. 114ls. 416intake lift 445 exhaust lift

The HO cam specs are---210intake dur. 210exhaust dur. 115ls. .444intake lift and .444exhaust lift.

Crane L cam/FMS b351 specs---206intake dur. 214exhaust dur. 114ls. .448intake lift. .464exhaust lift

Comps 35-255-5 "Hotrod cam"---210intake dur. 214exhaust dur. 114ls. .508intake lift .525exhaust dur. (Lift is with 1.7 rocker arms) This cam has been having problems lately allot of people wipeing out lobes,so buyer beware.

Last edited:

Matt95L

Established Member
cobra0393 said:
What is the difference in the two cams. And what year mustang cam is the best one to get. :D

I believe the 87-88 cams had a more agressive ramp rate,but customers were complaining about valvetrain noise so they toned the ramp rate down in 89.

Users who are viewing this thread