5.0 for commuting question

av8tr

Established Member
Sorry my first post is a new thread and if that breaks forum decorum feel free to move it, merge it or ban my ass...

I'm currently driving a g35 and it is getting on up in years and miles. My commute is 70 miles each way of 4 lane and interstate with light traffic. I am really wanting to find a reason to buy a 2011/12 5.0 for this drive. My question is will the car hold up to say 200K miles? I'm sure the engine will be OK since I will treat it to spa treatments and only lightly mod it (CAI, headers and exhaust, maybe a tune). How do they hold up as far as fit and finish, strange noises, etc...?

I'll hang up and listen....

greenscobie86

Established Member
In my opinion I doubt youll have any issues.

Slightly OT but my old Cobras/GTs all had 140k+ and they were plenty reliable, so historically speaking I think a 11,12, or 13-14 cars will be just as good if not better on the reliability front.

Zemedici

Established Member
Coming from a 350z to my cobra i drive now, I have no problem in believing either car would last to 175k+. Its hard to tell since the 5.0s are new, but my buddy has a cobra that has 140k and he's had a KB 2.2 on it forever, about to put on a 2.8. So since the cobra can last that long, and it was the generations BEFORE the 5.0, I would have no qualms about buying a 5.0 and expecting it to last a while.

Take the plunge, my friend :beer: And enjoy REAL power compared to the G35 :D

JohnRichard

MT82 Speed Shiftin Maniac
Established Member
Welcome to the forum...

The 2011+ Mustang is a great car for commuting... Just like any engine, proper maintenance will keep running strong for many miles...
Do a search on how many mile on your Mustang and you will be surprised at how well the new 5.0 really holds up... Please remember, as with any automobile, the more you abuse it, the shorter the life it will have...

Voltwings

Established Member
Slightly off topic, but again speaking from experience. My first car was a 2001 mustang i bought used. Mind you it was 10 years old when i sold it, had been in 4 wrecks (3 before i owned it, and one where a lady t-boned the shit out of me) and the bitch kept on going. The only thing i ever had to replace was a thermostat that froze and the alternator, the thing ran like a champ (low ass horsepower nonewithstanding :cryying:). I believe the 5.0's are miles ahead and i wouldnt be surprised to see some high mileage ones before too long.

clean92lx

Established Member
Search autotrader for the highest mileage 2011+ you can find(at a dealership) and take it for a test drive.

I'm not sure about Alabama but in Houston, you can get a brand new 2014 base for 25k

Last edited:

StevenStarke

Fast/Reliable/Cheap pick2
Established Member
I used my car for commuting for a little while. Gas sucked. Now I have a 2013 elantra that gets at least 33-34mpg driving hard. 39mpg if I take it easy.

USNjocson

CORPSMAN UP!
Established Member
Sorry my first post is a new thread and if that breaks forum decorum feel free to move it, merge it or ban my ass...

I'm currently driving a g35 and it is getting on up in years and miles. My commute is 70 miles each way of 4 lane and interstate with light traffic. I am really wanting to find a reason to buy a 2011/12 5.0 for this drive. My question is will the car hold up to say 200K miles? I'm sure the engine will be OK since I will treat it to spa treatments and only lightly mod it (CAI, headers and exhaust, maybe a tune). How do they hold up as far as fit and finish, strange noises, etc...?

I'll hang up and listen....

lol sure...........

As far has commuting the 5.0 its a great DD. My Boss gets anywhere from 22-26mpg on the freeway with cruise control 6th gear at 65-70. BUT DO NOT get headers and or cat deletes with a muffler delete axle back. For one, it'll be loud as shit and wont be able to hear the radio or conversations. And secondly, it'll drone like a mother****er

av8tr

Established Member
lol sure...........

As far has commuting the 5.0 its a great DD. My Boss gets anywhere from 22-26mpg on the freeway with cruise control 6th gear at 65-70. BUT DO NOT get headers and or cat deletes with a muffler delete axle back. For one, it'll be loud as shit and wont be able to hear the radio or conversations. And secondly, it'll drone like a mother****er

Not looking for the aftermarket exhaust note - looking to improve airflow. Are the two mutually exclusive?

Users who are viewing this thread