5.0 ECU to Boss302 ECU ??

wildaries83

Established Member
Ok so boss mustangs have this turn key ordeal. From my understanding it is a simple insert this track key in the ignition and you get an automatic racing tuned injection. Basically like a chip. So with this said, does that mean the ecu has 2 settings that can be used by the car? I ask this cause the 5.0 has 1 setting and you have to reflash to change the tune. If the boss can run 2 settings this would be very benificial. If anyone knows I would appreciate some info.

grabber blue gt

Established Member
I was planning on doing my own test. I am trying to find an ecu out of an automatic 5.0, and use that one for tuning and keep my stock ecu incase anything happens. This way I can swap back in the stock ecu which was NEVER reflashed and there is no proof I was running an aftermarket tune

wildaries83

Established Member
Yeah I don't know crap about these Ecu's lol. That is why I want to find out about the boss ecu. Dual tuning would rock for my nitrous setup

H-TownMachI

It's the Hamburglar
Established Member
The Trackey app for the Boss is just basically a programed MyKey. The GT PCM has the same MyKey capability but Ford would have to put out a program specifically for the GT.

KenB

Established Member
Ok so boss mustangs have this turn key ordeal. From my understanding it is a simple insert this track key in the ignition and you get an automatic racing tuned injection. Basically like a chip. So with this said, does that mean the ecu has 2 settings that can be used by the car? I ask this cause the 5.0 has 1 setting and you have to reflash to change the tune. If the boss can run 2 settings this would be very benificial. If anyone knows I would appreciate some info.

No, it doesn't have 2 different tunes with the track key. It has 1 bigger tune with multiple tables for certain parameters and when you use the key it uses the alternate values.

This could be used by aftermarket tuners but would take a bunch of work and I don't think you would see it anytime soon.

01bluesnake

Established Member
Oh this is not so I can hide an aftermarket tune. I want to be able to swap between 2 different race tunes.

A handheld can store multiple tunes in it to switch back and forth so having 2 PCM's is pointless unless you are trying to hide PCM programming. My SCT X3 can hold 3 different tunes i can change at any time.

95SC

Banned
I was planning on doing my own test. I am trying to find an ecu out of an automatic 5.0, and use that one for tuning and keep my stock ecu incase anything happens. This way I can swap back in the stock ecu which was NEVER reflashed and there is no proof I was running an aftermarket tune

ECU and gauge cluster are paired with theft system . car won't start If you put different Ecu in it unless you get it reprogrammed

SILV03MustangGT

Han Brolo CDR 5.Broliance
Established Member
I think someone posted the idea of a second ecu . So they could just throw the stock one in the car if something were to happen. Problem with that is that not only is it fraudlent ( no wonder Ford has cracked down on warranty claims) but from my understanding the ecu is tied to the keys so without the proper key its not going to work.

KenB

Established Member
You can do it, just needs to be prepared properly. Only reason to do it is the reason Pete did it, to raise the RPM limit.

HYBRED

That Just Happened
Established Member
A handheld can store multiple tunes in it to switch back and forth so having 2 PCM's is pointless unless you are trying to hide PCM programming. My SCT X3 can hold 3 different tunes i can change at any time.

I think the purpose is to be able to switch tunes as easily as you switch keys, instead of having to wait 5+ min to reload a tune. What I want to know is if I can flash a tuner to the stock key and still have the TracKey work...

five0three

big deal
Established Member

if you don't want to pay, dont play....

01bluesnake

Established Member
I think the purpose is to be able to switch tunes as easily as you switch keys, instead of having to wait 5+ min to reload a tune. What I want to know is if I can flash a tuner to the stock key and still have the TracKey work...

I know using a key to key switch would be faster, but loading a tune takes under 5 minutes and if you are switching tunes for different fuel blend, you can most likely change the tune while changing fuel. i guess i don't see the point of spending money on another PCM & key setup for saving a couple minutes of time. Realistically, how many times do people switch tunes, every time they start the car? No. I guess if someone feels like wasting money to act like they own a Boss with the track key setup, sure.

wildaries83

Established Member
Well here is the thing, I will break it down for you guys. I want 2 tunes that I can run. I have an SCT and yes I know you can reflash. How many times can the ECU be reflashed before a big **** you happens? Now, again I want 2 tunes that I can EASILY and QUICKLY swap to. Why? Well let's just say I am pushing 550rwhp on engine. Sweet so I want a tune that puts me at full 93 octane race ready tune. Which would also be my daily driving tune :) like now. So, second tune would be for when I want to hit my Nitrous bottle warmer, remote bottle opener, and activation switch for 300 shot of nitrous. Now before I go any further I do not want to hear banter about this idea ok! Thanks, because this is what I am doing since it is MY car! Ok so for those who know when you get dyno tuned to a huge shot of nitrous you can actually lose hp to regular driving on a nitrous tune. This is where a second tune would come in handy. Almost like back where you could just throw a chip in!

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
Well here is the thing, I will break it down for you guys. I want 2 tunes that I can run. I have an SCT and yes I know you can reflash. How many times can the ECU be reflashed before a big **** you happens? Now, again I want 2 tunes that I can EASILY and QUICKLY swap to. Why? Well let's just say I am pushing 550rwhp on engine. Sweet so I want a tune that puts me at full 93 octane race ready tune. Which would also be my daily driving tune :) like now. So, second tune would be for when I want to hit my Nitrous bottle warmer, remote bottle opener, and activation switch for 300 shot of nitrous. Now before I go any further I do not want to hear banter about this idea ok! Thanks, because this is what I am doing since it is MY car! Ok so for those who know when you get dyno tuned to a huge shot of nitrous you can actually lose hp to regular driving on a nitrous tune. This is where a second tune would come in handy. Almost like back where you could just throw a chip in!

I don't think it would take the Boss PCM to do what you're trying to do. However, I don't know if aftermarket tuners have the values available in their software to modify the MyKey system in this fashion. To say it's impossible, would be wrong. However it may not be practical on a cost basis.

Either way, we could debate this until the cows come home here. What you really need to do is talk to a tuner that might actually have the knowledge and know-how to pull it off. Starting with somebody like John Lund might be a good idea.

In regards to flashing the PCM, any F-You by the system would likely be caused by user error rather than a breakdown of the unit itself. Modern storage methods offer a crap-ton of read/write cycles. Even solid state drives (which the coyote pcm may use, though I'm not sure) have over 2 million read/write cycles before their usable life is extinguished.

If you flashed your pcm twice a day, it would take you just shy of 2740 years before the expected life of the memory modules comes up. Obviously that doesn't take in to effect normal driving which does parse this information and thus changes that outcome. However, since the erasure and re-writing of the module causes the most stress on the unit, day to day operation is likely minimal.

What this means to you is "flash your pcm until the cows come home."

Users who are viewing this thread