4wd Lightning project

fordification

Established Member
I'm sure this has been done but was wondering if someone can direct me to some info on it. I've come across a couple crashed 99 Lightings, and I'm curious as to how tricky it would be to transplant the powertrain into my 98 F-150 rc/fs. The only real grey area is whether there could be a confliction with the transfer case. And I know the tc isn't designed to handle that kind of hp/tq. I imagine I'd also need the L eec.

I can't afford an L, so this is probably the closest I can come to one.

HalfTime

Race it how you drive it.
Established Member
By the time you get that 4X4 done, you could have bought a SVTL. It will take alot more then just the powerplant to make it work, but Good Luck. If you ever get started on it, let us know.

fordification

Established Member
could be, but its better then financing and paying interest. a couple side impacted L's are going for 8-10k.

another problem is that this is my daily driver.

HalfTime

Established Member
Yikes, your going to build your DD? YOu should get a $500 dollor beater while your building.

netoje

Established Member
fordification said:
could be, but its better then financing and paying interest. a couple side impacted L's are going for 8-10k.

another problem is that this is my daily driver.
Remember that its 8-10k but that doesnt include all the extra little stuff that WILL add up in the end. But like said before, if you decide to do it GOOD LUCK and keep us updated!! :beer:

simshahh

Party2Go
Established Member
that would be pretty cool. when i first say the thread i was a little angry, thinking you were gonna jack up the L, put some big tires on it and what not. ive seen that before somewhere on here, and it hurt me inside haha. but i think that putting the SVTL motor into your truck shouldnt be that big of a problem. why would u buy the whole truck tho? the motors go on ebay for around 4 grand, complete with trans and wiring. and with the transfer case, i dont see why a TC from a super duty wouldnt hold up. those hold pretty good amounts of power.

HalfTime

Established Member
He means the Transfer case on the 4X4. But yea, it should hold up if it's from a beffey truck.

fordification

Established Member
simshahh said:
that would be pretty cool. when i first say the thread i was a little angry, thinking you were gonna jack up the L, put some big tires on it and what not. ive seen that before somewhere on here, and it hurt me inside haha. but i think that putting the SVTL motor into your truck shouldnt be that big of a problem. why would u buy the whole truck tho? the motors go on ebay for around 4 grand, complete with trans and wiring. and with the transfer case, i dont see why a TC from a super duty wouldnt hold up. those hold pretty good amounts of power.

but that's just the motor for 4kusd. this is the whole truck with framed damage/side impact for 8-10k cdn. I can use everything including the interior. I haven't looked at any of these trucks to see what all could be damaged though.

99 L's are going for atleast 23k cdn here. And plus, I couldn't justify having a second vehicle that can only be driven on nice days.

fordification

Established Member
HalfTime said:
Yikes, your going to build your DD? YOu should get a $500 dollor beater while your building.

before I knew our office is moving, I could've gotten away without driving it everydays since I take the bus, but were moving out of the downtown core so..

203Cree

Established Member
It's been done before. I can't remember the links. I'll see if I can find it when I get home tonight.

Ryan

It's Not Your Concern
Super Moderator
203Cree said:
It's been done before. I can't remember the links.
Yeah, someone posted links a while back...someone also did it with a 4wd Expedition.

nicktoney

weeee
Established Member
i have an idea for you.. you said that you dont have the money for that L you want, but can get some ones with frame damage.. psst... can you say tube chassis?!

ChrisNelson

* Screw the N.A.B. !! *
Established Member
This is all you bro-

100_0033.jpg

100_0034.jpg

100_0035.jpg

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?t=240106

BLWN DSG

Vettillac
Established Member
'00 46,254miles $19,998
http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.j...=2000&start_year=1999&isp=y&lang=&cardist=123
'99 20,380 miles $19,980
http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.j...r=2000&start_year=1999&isp=y&lang=&cardist=99
'00 49,214miles $18,995
http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.j...=2000&start_year=1999&isp=y&lang=&cardist=348
'99 43,690miles $17,995
http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.j...2000&start_year=1999&isp=y&lang=&cardist=1366
'00 67,462miles $17,990
http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.j...=2000&start_year=1999&isp=y&lang=&cardist=422

there is 5 of them I found on Autotrader...every single one is under 20k. I say sell your truck and use that money to buy a real L...going to be a hell of a lot cheaper in the long run. Rule of thumb for pricing work...whatever the price for the parts alone is, double that for the price of labor.

fordification

Established Member
nicktoney said:
i have an idea for you.. you said that you dont have the money for that L you want, but can get some ones with frame damage.. psst... can you say tube chassis?!

nice try, but that would take a massive amount of work. generally, everthing would be out of square.

Users who are viewing this thread