4v Valvetrain Tick

MR.ADAMS

Established Member
What is it?

Engine has about 80k on it. Lately I've heard a light tick coming from underneath the car which sounds like it's being amplified by the driver's side exhaust manifold. It sounds like it's a valve or something in the valvetrain. If it's something that's common I'll replace it over the winter. I was thinking it was a lifter going bad somewhere. Ideas?

90FoX

Established Member
I've heard that a head tick is common on all 4v's. It may not be anything to worry about. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable can chime in.

Btw 4v's don't have lifters, do they? I thought the cams roll over the spring above the valve . :shrug: I never thought about this, how does the valve train work on a DOHC? I never looked at a assembled head before.

Last edited:

TIMMONS

ZZZ
Established Member
i thought mine was coming from the top end...got worse and turned out to be a rod bearing.

Tx_Diablous

I build them she drives
Established Member
I have had two 4v engines tick and in both cases it was a rod bearing. The way the front timming cover is made it seems to send the sound up making it hard to tell where the noise is coming from. The way these heads go together unless you break a spring or a rocker arm falls off not much chance it could be in the valve system. Good luck but keep in mind the longer you drive it the more it will cost to fix.

Chris _Scott

NA FTW
Established Member
ouchh :[

I had a head tick..and then I swapped heads to get rid of the head tick and its still there :/

Guess I might have a rod bearing going bad then :/

Looks like I'll be saving up for a new motor sooner than I thought...

MR.ADAMS

Established Member
Hmmm, well that's not exactly what I wanted to hear. It doesn't tick enough for me to warrant being worried about it, it was just something I noticed while standing next to it one day. I asked to see if it was normal for these engines to tick a bit.

If it is a rod bearing I suppose I will cross that bridge when I get there... I know they spin pretty frequently on these cars but damn. I drive my car like a grandpa and I just put 7qts of synthetic in it. As a matter of fact, I barely drove it at all this summer.

Would it be worth taking it apart over the winter to look it over? Are there any other symptoms of a bad bearing other than a tick?

Thanks for the input guys.

Last edited:

DVJ38

One mod at a time
Established Member
Maybe use a mechanics stethoscope (regular stethoscope with a long piece of metal at the end instead of a cup) and place it on the valve covers, then try the oil pan, block, heads, and see where the noise is the loudest. I actually should do this myself, as I believe I have some valve noise too. I seem to remember the hydraulic lash adjusters sometimes making noise on these cars? I could be wrong though. The noise on my car doesn't really sound like a deeper knocking, but a lighter ticking that isn't even really a big deal. I'd just like to know for sure I guess.

..and the list is growing for spring time lol.

MR.ADAMS

Established Member
I seem to remember the hydraulic lash adjusters sometimes making noise on these cars? I could be wrong though.

That's my gut instinct.

The noise on my car doesn't really sound like a deeper knocking, but a lighter ticking that isn't even really a big deal. I'd just like to know for sure I guess.

Exactly the same as me. It's not a concerning noise, but I'd like to be sure.

DVJ38

One mod at a time
Established Member
I think somebody on here replaced a few of their lash adjusters and made a post about it. Might have been another forum though lol. Just figured I'd mention it incase you wanted to search for it.

Chris _Scott

NA FTW
Established Member
^^ someone did

I believe it was cookieman?

bought four valve lash adjusters....used a stethoscope to pinpoint where the noise was coming from and then swapped the four valve lash adjusters there..and got the guess right the first time and that was the end of that.

PSUCOBRA96

Established Member
have a light tick at the rear passenger side head, its not enough for me to really worry, cars making decent power and im not taking it apart to figure out the problem. I would rather just upgrade the whole motor when i have the cash.

I feel lieka rod bearing is louder than the normal hydrolic lash adjuster tick

Ciotti

See-ahh-tee
Established Member
When I first for my car it had the tick and on a random tip from I'm not even sure where I put a bottle of Marvel Mystery oil into the oil and I don't know how, I don't know why but the tick went away. That was 3 1/2 years ago, recently the tick came back so I put another bottle of the stuff in and it went away again. I'm truly baffled at why it works but I'm not going to complain for one second about it :)

Chris _Scott

NA FTW
Established Member
Marvel Mystery oil, what the hell is that stuff lol?

+1 ...I'll give that a shot.

have a light tick at the rear passenger side head, its not enough for me to really worry, cars making decent power and im not taking it apart to figure out the problem. I would rather just upgrade the whole motor when i have the cash.

I feel lieka rod bearing is louder than the normal hydrolic lash adjuster tick

same for you too? mines in the same spot...right around cylinder #3 I have determined with my stethoscope.

Wynn

Wants 11's
Established Member
I have a "tick" sound from the drivers side (i think, anyway). I always just kind of assumed it was the injectors firing. I need to take a better look though, apparently.

PSUCOBRA96

Established Member
Im interested in the mystery lol, i guess its worth a shot, I havent been home since the 22 of august so teh mustang needs to stretch its legs since the weather has been holding out

NoviBlown92

Tire Smoker
Established Member
I also had a loud tick on the top end that ended up being a rod bearing. The reason it sounds like it's coming from up top is when the bearing goes it allows the piston to travel up too far and it taps the bottom of the head lightly. When I pulled the motor apart you could see where it had knocked the carbon build up off the bottom of the head and left a shiny spot. Sounded just like a valve ticking only louder.

Users who are viewing this thread