4V questions about reliability and boost

bird_dog0347

Established Member
Hey guys, so I don't have a build thread here yet but do on stangnet... anyway, the TLDR is I have a 92 Coupe that I've had since 2012 and is currently undergoing a FULL build where it is currently finishing up the body work and setting gaps but it's just a shell.

I had a 5.0 with a TFS top end kit and a 5 speed but I sold that setup and bought a 97 Cobra vert with a rebuilt title but had a 4V with a built T56 with a Vortech and aftercooler that I will be swapping into my 92. The Cobra had been "Dyno Tuned" at Gearheads in Arlington and came with the printed results showing 450 RWHP but it also cut out and wouldn't go past 4500RPM under load as it was running out of fuel.

Overall the car and drivetrain was worth the risk as I got the engine/trans/supercharger setup and everything for $3500 after selling off the rest.

That said, I'm going to end up getting a Holley Term X for it and it will be custom tuned. I emailed Vortech and they said the head unit had been sent back and serviced less than 2 years before I got it so that's a win! The engine overall was is in good shape but had some questionable things that makes us want to go through everything with a fine tooth comb as my build is basically "do it right the first time". I have a new fuel system with a dual pump hat and 03/04 style tank with AN lines and rails, but I still need to get some new injectors. The fuel system will support at least 800+ depending on injectors.

So the plan is to replace all the engine gaskets at a minimum as the whole thing is already out anyways and I already bought a full gasket kit. It has already been converted to COP but I'm unsure of the kit as it came on the car, will have to look into that more.

The engine will go to the machine shop to ensure there's no major defects, but since it will be mostly apart anyway, I think it will be worth it to go ahead and replace the rods with something that will handle over 500 hp even though that's basically my max goal...

I just don't want to have to pull this back out later and I'm thinking maybe the rods, rings, and bearings could be replaced for not a ton of money but give us a layer of safety. I also already got the head cooling mod for it. What else is a MUST DO at this point?

Attachments

• CEAA7642-8938-4374-8257-5903C24AB9C7.jpg
    CEAA7642-8938-4374-8257-5903C24AB9C7.jpg
    413.1 KB · Views: 69

2003RedfireVert

Male and Female He created them.
Established Member
I thought you were doing rods already. If you are doing rods, do pistons too. I would not tear an engine a part and leave stock pistons in it.

bird_dog0347

Established Member
I thought you were doing rods already. If you are doing rods, do pistons too. I would not tear an engine a part and leave stock pistons in it.
Well technically the original plan was to simply re-gasket the whole engine intake to oil pan and run it... but, since it is out and I'm a little worried about the weak points now I'd like to make sure to address those before it gets put back in. With good compression and health, I figured rods/bearings/rings and it'd be good to go. If the stock pistons aren't up to the task then sure, those could be done too if needed. I figure I'm gonna be $50k into the build no matter what, but if I don't need to replace them or bore the block then I won't.

2003RedfireVert

Male and Female He created them.
Established Member
Well technically the original plan was to simply re-gasket the whole engine intake to oil pan and run it... but, since it is out and I'm a little worried about the weak points now I'd like to make sure to address those before it gets put back in. With good compression and health, I figured rods/bearings/rings and it'd be good to go. If the stock pistons aren't up to the task then sure, those could be done too if needed. I figure I'm gonna be $50k into the build no matter what, but if I don't need to replace them or bore the block then I won't.
All I’m saying is if I take my engine part, it’s getting built. Buy once, cry once. You will regret it when a piston ring land breaks on a stock piston.

Totally understand the money and wanting to save where possible but it’s worth it.

bird_dog0347

Established Member
All I’m saying is if I take my engine part, it’s getting built. Buy once, cry once. You will regret it when a piston ring land breaks on a stock piston.

Totally understand the money and wanting to save where possible but it’s worth it.
Gotcha, what are the go to vendors for the pistons and rods, and which should I stay away from? This is my first 4.6...

Users who are viewing this thread