4v powerband question

sinnedam

Established Member
ok, this is my first 4v and i had a question. the car really comes alive at about 4K RPM's, and it feels really torquey (sp?) down low till about 2500 RPM i assume cause the car has 4.10's. However..that grey area from 2500-4000 seems like my old 01 GT was stronger, and it was stock minus exhaust. Is that just the powerband of the car? does anyone else have that feeling of a middle area where it doesnt seem that strong? i may be over analyzing this LOL. I do love the car though. ;-)

Cobrakid2006

We Are VENOM
Established Member
yes thats the power band. 2v makes more power down low to mid while 4v makes power mid to upper. u wanna stay between 4500k to 6800k rpm's thats the sweet spot :) and 4.10's deff. help u get and stay there. hope this helps :)

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
yip, that's just how it is.
The IMRCs open up at 3250, then you feel a kick in the pants.
the 4.10s will just get you to that point quicker!

mystical

Established Member
ok, this is my first 4v and i had a question. the car really comes alive at about 4K RPM's, and it feels really torquey (sp?) down low till about 2500 RPM

I don't know what you're feeling from off idle-2500rpm but it certainly isn't torque. Should pull great above 4K but these motors are definately not torque monsters.

T-Pain808

I Love Asian Girls!!!
Established Member
Get a supercharger then that way it will pull from 2500 to 4000 too.

SKMCOBRA

Just the Facts
Established Member
Tuner just adjusted my IMRCs to open at 2800 and it made a difference in tq/hp coming in sooner.

Team Dave

I broke something
Established Member
Cobra's will always beat GT's up top (mod for mod), but it's close down low. They make peak torque at different rpm's (Cobra has 300 lb ft of torque, but isn't it close to 4800 when it peaks?).

For example... I raced my old Cobra against my friend's GT and lost... because we were both in 5th. I always wondered how much more torque the GT made down low, so me and him did a 45ish roll, with both of us in 5th gear. My Cobra had 4.10's, full exhaust... the usual bolt ons. His GT was a 96 with a PI swap, full exhaust... normal bolt ons as well. He pulled out instantly, and got a lead of about 2 cars, but by the time we hit 80ish (which took forever, LOL) I stopped his pull and crept back up. By 110, I blew past him. When we raced straight up, I would get him by about 4-5 cars.

Solution for no low end torque = steeper gears. Then you can take advantage of your mid-high powerband more often. I had 4.10's in my old GT and didn't like it too much, but I have 4.30's in my new Cobra and I effing LOVE em. GT had too much low end torque for 4.10's IMO

NVENEM8U

Bust'n ass since 1996
Established Member
with my cams I can almost compare my car to a turbo car , the harder u turn it the more it pulls......It really comes to life over 4k....welcome to the 4v world

Quadcammer

4cams aren't better then1
Established Member
I'm going to assume that was sarcasm, unless you had a T56.

you clearly don't understand.

With stock gears, your top speed will be achieved in 4th gear, because the engine does not have enough power to pull 5th gear any faster.

With 4.30s this is no longer the case, and they do not cause any decrease in top speed (they may actually increase it).

Rocsfinest97

Domestics > Imports
Established Member
Oh.. I see, sorry my mistake. :nonono: Looks like I need to do some reading.

So if what your saying is correct, then 4.30s are the most ideal gear to purchase for our cars, and there is no topping out at 115-130 like 4.10s do?

Last edited:

Cobra Was Here

I Miss My Cobra
Established Member
I vote 4.10s for a street car. I love 4.30s in 2nd and 3rd gear but i find myself wishing 4th would pull further. And when i top out 4th and shift into 5th, my car still pulls fairly decent for that high of mph

Users who are viewing this thread