4V Cam timing Question

AJRED99

"Almost Stock"
Established Member
Ok I only made 370rwhp with my 03 swap when I should have made 500-550rwhp, I did a leakdown and compression test (they both came back ggod) So after talking with my tuner and a local speed shop we all thought it must be those POS SHM cams, I took off the valve covers and timing cover and set the motor to TDC with the ford service tool, The boss on the cam sprockets are at the 6 o'clock (I thought they needed to be at the 12 while at TDC. Could this cause my issues? Also if the cam markers were off 180 degrees like that could the motor still run decent and make 370rwhp? I need some advice here folks. Thanks in advance.

Allen

Steeda30

Clearance Clarence
Established Member
My rebuilt engine made 60 less RWHP (~450 from 516) because of the cams (stock cams) being too far advanced. Finally got it back today with cams set back to stock and it was 500.24 RWHP, heh. Tune is a little off but the cams were the main problem.

AJRED99

"Almost Stock"
Established Member
Steeda30 said:
My rebuilt engine made 60 less RWHP (~450 from 516) because of the cams (stock cams) being too far advanced. Finally got it back today with cams set back to stock and it was 500.24 RWHP, heh. Tune is a little off but the cams were the main problem.

sweet, I'm glad you got it figured out, I really think my problem is with those POS SHM cams and plus I didn't degree them when I installed them.

Users who are viewing this thread