4th gear problems..suggestions?

srl135

Wreck 'em Tech!
Established Member
Anyone had syncro problems? 4th gear issues

Edit: Shift Keys were broken and blocker ring was worn due to that. Replaced fork pads to remove the stocker plastic pieces. Car drives just like it used to now.

Got a Spec 3+ installed along with a 26 spline input shaft. The clutch works fine and all gears seem to be working fine but now my T56 is not cool with 4th gear. It typically grinds a little bit regardless of the rpm range. I have not had it WOT yet since i put the new clutch in, but if it grinds, i back off and try it again and it will go in as long as rpms are low. Almost like synchros are going out. Any suggestions on why this would be happening now though? It was fine till i had the clutch installed...no problems at all!

Updates:

Changed to Royal Purple ATF, didnt fix it.

Swapped (stock stretched) OEM cable to FR Adjustable, didnt fix it.

Swapped back to a new OEM cable, didnt fix it.

Removed LDC Mod, didnt fix it.

Re-shimmed the input shaft, didnt fix it.

Last edited:

greengt88

Established Member
don't know about the grinding/ synchro issue but i did have a hard to shift condition w/ mine. i changed to a Pro 5.0 shifter and had RP Synchromax put in. I still have a little bit of this when it's cold but once it's up to temp it shifts really nicely, actually got rid of the hard to shift at High rpm problem mostly too. So i'd recommend that stuff. maybe paly with your firewall adj. a little too and see if that helps, but start with the fluid first, before you change anything else. Just do a step by step ya know.

srl135

Wreck 'em Tech!
Established Member
tranny fluid change didnt fix it. New question...anyone have any complications from the LDC freeplay mod? It made my trany not want any gear on a stock setup, so i removed it and now put it on for the aftermarket setup...anyone been there done that?

srl135

Wreck 'em Tech!
Established Member
One more bump. Trying a replacement stock OEM cable this weekend. Any other ideas? Need to re-shim the input shaft?

Jomo1994z71

Can I get a KB WooWee!
Established Member
Thanks for letting us know what was up...
Glad you got it figured out...

Users who are viewing this thread