4th gear grinding after 26 spline install?

LuDamiKE81

Flattest of the Flat
Established Member
I put billet 3-4 keys and a new blocker ring in about a year ago after mine wouldnt come out of 4th. Now i recently put a 26 spline in after breaking 2 ten splines and after one run in mexico with the 26, 4th gears giving me trouble. If you dont go slow into 4th it grinds. It shifted like butter until i ran it hard that once. I shimmed the 26 accordingly and put 1000miles on everything before i ran it hard. I just want to see if this has happened to anyone else and see what options i have before i take the tranny out again.

Cliff notes:
tranny has billet 3-4 keys, new 26 spline and clutch disk, shifted fine before a few runs in mexico, granny shifted and took it easy on the shifts for the first run with the new parts, didnt make any noises when i shifted into 4th during the 3 pulls, little bit of grinding going into 4th after unless you wait a few seconds.:??:

Avispa

Established Member
Sounds a whole lot like your 4th gear synchro ring cracked. Try shifting without stepping on the clutch. The synchro rings should keep you from entering each gear without any grinding until your car speed and engine speed match for each gear. If you get gear grinding in 4th instead of a quiet lockout, then the synchro ring is it for sure.

I don't even wanna discuss how many times I've had to drive home with a clutch that wouldn't release to explain why I know this crap. lol

Last edited:

srl135

Wreck 'em Tech!
Established Member
i had the same problem, but i was on a stock transmission. I sheared the shift keys and blocker ring. Replaced with Billet keys. I was also very easy on it... just grinded going in once and that was it. Might be the same situation for you again

LuDamiKE81

Flattest of the Flat
Established Member
Looks like ill be dropping it to see....again. Last time the keys where in pieces and stuck in 4th, hopefully the billet keys held up and its just the ring this time since its still functions.

Pete's 03

Where's my eating helmet?
Established Member
Looks like ill be dropping it to see....again. Last time the keys where in pieces and stuck in 4th, hopefully the billet keys held up and its just the ring this time since its still functions.

Thats what it sounds like to me. I had the same problem on an car I used to have, the 4th gear synchro went out and I could rarely get it into 4th without some grinding. The speeds had to be matched perfectly. Good luck

Root1022

100 Shot, 1 Kill
Established Member
Got the same issue with 3rd gear right now, had it about 4 months ago and took it to HPP they fixed some pads in the tranny and it fixed it for about a month. Right before I moved to Germany the damn thing started doing it again. Im thinking about just tearing into the transmission myself cuz I dont really trust Germans working on my tranny. How hard is it to replace synchros or shift keys? I pretty good mechanically but ive never teared into a tranny!

Users who are viewing this thread