4th Gear grind after 26 spline, shifter, clutch and fluid swap

Silverlx7667

Established Member
I just did a Centerforce DYAD Clutch in the car and swapped to the 26 spline input shaft. I used a Tremec unit and the blocker ring did come out behind the input shaft but I placed it back in prior to putting the new input shaft in. It seemed to go into place the only way it was designed to go. I ended up with one one-thousandth of end-play putting it back together and after it was torqued down.

I also went with the DYAD Clutch, MM quadrant and their firewall Clutch cable adjuster using my stock cable.

I also installed an MGW shifter and put Amsoil ATF in it.

I've had issues adjusting the Clutch cable as I'm not sure if it's adjusted correctly.

Before the MM quadrant and adjuster, the cable seemed pretty loose and I had a 4th gear grind, it happened twice in about a 20 mile drove with stop ajd go traffic. After installing the MM pieces, I still have an occasional 4th grind. I'm granny shifting the car at around 3k rpm's during Clutch break in and it did grind during a downshift today.

Could I have put the blocker ring in wrong during the input shaft install?

Could this be a cable issue?

Could this be a MGW shifter issue?

Could it be a Centerforce Clutch issue?

I'm going to have someone with experience take a look at the cable tomorrow but was just wondering if there's anything I can cross off my list as being the culprit. Sucks because I'd naturally look at the last mod or change I made but I made a lot of changes lol

MG0h3

Established Member
Odd that it’s only giving you grief in fourth.

Regarding the cable adj/TOB free play, you want the TOB lightly riding on the PP fingers at all times.

It should always be spinning.

I set mine up while running. I set it so that with a finger or two, I can push the fork/TOB back away from the PP enough that it’ll stop.

Let go and it makes contact again and is spinning.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Silverlx7667

Established Member
Took it apart earlier, this is what I found.

I ordered a new set of 3/4 keys from Amp and theirs are supposed to be the strongest and best keys made. I'll swap the keys out and hopefully that'll do it. I'd really like to find the missing half that's in there somewhere...

Attachments

• 20230626_143912.jpg
    20230626_143912.jpg
    185.4 KB · Views: 44
  • 20230626_143923.jpg
    20230626_143923.jpg
    296.1 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:

Roush6018

Established Member
could this be a MGW shifter issue ?!?!?!?! woah, you got to be kidding me. lol JK .

i tried to put a 26 spline input with viper 5th and 6th gears with new shifter pads like you have in your hand there (looks like you broke 1 of 3, for the 4th gear) . ended up with a pile of t-56 parts and i was not able to complete the repair. put the parts in a box and took it to the local t-56 expert, very nice guy. it was ready in 1-2 days and it cost me $400. my T-56 has been shifting perfect ever since that rebuild. but it does sound like a box of rocks if i am in the wrong gear, which is normal operation!!!

i am running the Steeda Tri-Ax shifter (with cobra bob gasket!!!) and i dream of the day i can get me one of them fancy MGW shifters.

Silverlx7667

Established Member
could this be a MGW shifter issue ?!?!?!?! woah, you got to be kidding me. lol JK .

i tried to put a 26 spline input with viper 5th and 6th gears with new shifter pads like you have in your hand there (looks like you broke 1 of 3, for the 4th gear) . ended up with a pile of t-56 parts and i was not able to complete the repair. put the parts in a box and took it to the local t-56 expert, very nice guy. it was ready in 1-2 days and it cost me $400. my T-56 has been shifting perfect ever since that rebuild. but it does sound like a box of rocks if i am in the wrong gear, which is normal operation!!!

i am running the Steeda Tri-Ax shifter (with cobra bob gasket!!!) and i dream of the day i can get me one of them fancy MGW shifters.
Lol not sure how fancy they are, I really like the adjustability of the MGWs as that is my biggest grip about these cars, the shifter is too damn far away. Lol

Roush6018

Established Member
i have the shifter bolted to the upper mounting spot on mine. i think when bolted in the lower mounting spot you are right it seems farther to make the shifts, but the throw is shorter too.

i definitely recommend get the shifter pads from D&D then take your T-56 to a pro for them to replace all 3 sets of shifter pads at the same time.

after reinstalling everything test drive and the clutch should start to grab at 1-2" from the floor. my car used to start to catch at about 1/2" from the floor and something was broken or mis-adjusted. i replaced my clutch with a RXT and its perfect now, super easy to drive when its working right. Good Luck!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread