4r70w trans

01cobrakid

Got DoHc?
Established Member
Since there is no transmission forum i figured i would post this question here because it is viewed more than any other.

Could someone please enlighten me on this trans:??: I am thinking about purchasing a freshly rebuilt one from a buddy for $2000, complete. comes with absolutely everything needed. It had a complete overhaul. I dont know much about autos but i know the whole trans has $3800 invested in it. Im sick of replacing clutches or should i say i will be sick of replacing clutches. I want it to last and be very streetable. Ive heard pretty much nothing but good things about this trans. Could someone please convince me to buy or not buy this trans. KEEP IN MIND I AM ONE OF THE FEW PEOPLE WHO WOULD ACTUALLY PREFER AN AUTO. I had my fun with the manual but im not the best driver and ive missed too many shifts and have been very lucky so far to not grenade my trans.

thanks i.a.

Mike:rockon:

blown330

Established Member
well, i don't have a cobra but i have an f-150 w/ that trans. if the trans is built correctly it would last . my truck weighs about 4800 and it dynoed at 410/ 550 ft lbs. on a mustang dyno. i'll be more than happy to tell you if it holds up against my stroker motor and cams!:rolling:

4sdvenom

Never Enough!
Established Member
To my knowledge (and I could be wrong), but I believe that the 4r70w is the best built, and strongest (stock - stock of course) of the Ford AODs that will fit the Mustang. I'm not sure, but the trans. in the lightning may or may not be stronger, but I don't think it will fit the Mustang without serious modifications (once again I could be wrong).
Anyway I say go for the 4r70w.
Thats what I am putting in my Cobra with a 4000 stall. Built by PA to HBH spec's.

The only problem is if you want it simplified so you don't have to go with a Baumanator or get into serious tuning you will have to go with a fully manual valve body, and shift each gear still. But you won't have to worry about burnt clutches or missed shifts :thumbsup: .

03Steve has a lot of info. as he stated above on this swap (fully manual valve body)

Ask your friend if when he had it overhauled if he did a stock overhaul, or did he upgrade the internals at all (i.e. Alto Red clutches, hardened stub shaft, etc.)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread