4r70W swap, wiring questions

UARPREY

Established Member
So I'm looking at swapping in a built, 4r70w, full manual valve body, trans brake, so on and so forth.

From what I've gathered, the only reason you need to do any of the T56/4R70 harness hacking, or any of the wiring at all, is if you're doing this swap to become a " stock auto" car? Which I am not, I will not have the full auto throw it in D and go, etc.

So I don't even need to fool with the harness? I know they said the T56 harness has the rear 02 connectors on it, but, my car has off road X, no cats, and i don't think there are even any 02s in the rear. ( Alabama, no inspection no nothing).

So All I really need to do is get the speedometer to work, and maybe the safety switch? Not at all concerned with reverse lights,cruise control. The car is not a DD, it sees some interstate cruising, to and from the dragstrip, car shows/cruise ins, as well as to the street race spots..but that's it, i don't commute daily in it.

So, with all that said, tell me folks..am I pretty much correct here? or am I so dead wrong? lol

static74

in the 9's
Established Member
Only connecters you absolutely need are the speed sensor and rear o2's if in use. The speed sensor will have a different style plug which you'll need to find at the junk yard.

Neutral safety isnt a necessity. Just dont be stupid and try and start your car in gear.

UARPREY

Established Member
Ok great. I really hate wiring, so if the whole harness cluster-F could be avoided, i for sure want to avoid it. lol

Any idea what vehicle I could get the speed sensor plug from? I'd assume any 99-04 GT/Mach Auto car?

Wicked46

Under Pressure
Established Member
Go to a junk hard and look for the connector plug. Any 4R70W or 4R75W will have the same plug. I used my stock T56 harness for my 4R70W. I tied into the reverse lights and speedo and was good to go. The speedo will need to be changed in your tune since the # of teeth it reads off of is different.

UARPREY

Established Member
Also, I'm really wanting the TCI outlaw shifter, but it mentions an install kit needed for AOD, but doesn't say it's needed for AODE or 4r70.. Any of you guys happen to know about this?

UARPREY

Established Member
Well, nearly a year later and I'm finally ready to start the auto swap process. a guy i know locally has a PTC built 4r70, manual VB with brake, was just freshened up by PTC, so 0 miles on it. Told me he'd take $750 for it. So that's most likely what I'm gonna do.

Users who are viewing this thread