4R70W Full Manual VB daily driver

VA-Mach1

Established Member
Been buying all the necessary parts to convert my 03 Mach1 5 speed to a 4R70W. I wanted to hear from anyone that daily or very frequently drives a 4R70W full manual Mustang. Do you like it? Any experience stories would be nice.

After seeing the price of a aftermarket trans controller I have been building a relay pack to control OD and TCC on a manual vb setup. I will post a diagram after I get it tested for anyone who may want to build one.

Blackedout

Established Member
I have a MVB in mine... not a DD, but I would have no problem if it was my DD... Freddy Brown has a relay controller for OD/LU and it works great...

VA-Mach1

Established Member
I have a MVB in mine... not a DD, but I would have no problem if it was my DD... Freddy Brown has a relay controller for OD/LU and it works great...

Thanks. I have read about the relay reset from FB, and I emailed him with a few questions and he called to help me with the answers. Very helpful stand up guy. I would buy his setup in a minute but I'm a DYI person and I like to know how and why things work and build it myself.

Do you use the FB relays?

The setup I'm building will have a momentary switch for OD, and another for TCC. The brake pedal or the switch will unlock the TCC. The od button will engage OD and also when OD is turned off with the switch it will also unlock TCC at the same time.

A down shift from 3rd to 2nd or 1st will also turn of OD and unlock TCC at the same time.

Last edited:

Blackedout

Established Member
Thanks. I have read about the relay reset from FB, and I emailed him with a few questions and he called to help me with the answers. Very helpful stand up guy. I would buy his setup in a minute but I'm a DYI person and I like to know how and why things work and build it myself.

Do you use the FB relays?

The setup I'm building will have a momentary switch for OD, and another for TCC. The brake pedal or the switch will unlock the TCC. The od button will engage OD and also when OD is turned off with the switch it will also unlock TCC at the same time.

A down shift from 3rd to 2nd or 1st will also turn of OD and unlock TCC at the same time.

Yes I installed FB's relay.... works just like you described...Yes FB was GREAT to deal with for my trans and parts !!!

static74

in the 9's
Established Member
I put about 1500 miles a year on mine. I have a B&M Pro Ratchet and I use toggle switches for lock-up and OD.

I dont mind the shifting, what I hate is the in and out of lockup and od. My shift out of OD is somewhat violent and its nothing short of annoying having to play with those switches. Oh, and accidentally hitting OD going down the track is not good either.

Other than that, its fine.

VA-Mach1

Established Member
I put about 1500 miles a year on mine. I have a B&M Pro Ratchet and I use toggle switches for lock-up and OD.

I dont mind the shifting, what I hate is the in and out of lockup and od. My shift out of OD is somewhat violent and its nothing short of annoying having to play with those switches. Oh, and accidentally hitting OD going down the track is not good either.

Other than that, its fine.

What VB are you using? I have heard that a setup with constant line pressure will produce a hard downshift.

crfrider16

Heretic
Established Member
Fred brown 4stbe with full mvb here, and I never mind it. I have the full relay pack as well. B&M pro stick. Its kind of like a stick, in that it constantly keeps you involved in driving the car, which I enjoy.

static74

in the 9's
Established Member
Been buying all the necessary parts to convert my 03 Mach1 5 speed to a 4R70W. I wanted to hear from anyone that daily or very frequently drives a 4R70W full manual Mustang. Do you like it? Any experience stories would be nice.

After seeing the price of a aftermarket trans controller I have been building a relay pack to control OD and TCC on a manual vb setup. I will post a diagram after I get it tested for anyone who may want to build one.

any plans on posting the relay pack you made?

VA-Mach1

Established Member
Not yet. I'm still working on getting it to function the way I would like. I tested a version I build last weekend on a PCB board and due to my horrible soldering it let the smoke out when I put power to it. If/when I get a functional unit to work the way I want I can share it If anyone is interested in building one themselves. I'm not trying to build and sell them.

I do have 1 working model but I'm not happy with the TCC control on it so I'm trying different configurations.

Last edited:

VA-Mach1

Established Member
Got the auto swap done. I used a Transgo AOD3 full manual kit that uses a modulator valve to control line pressure. It gives soft shifts at low RPM and bang shifts at higher RPM's. Wired up my own relay packs to control OD and TCC. Been driving it for about 2 weeks and it's great.

Users who are viewing this thread