4R100 Issue/Qustion

walt460

SN95 Judge
Established Member
My 2001 Lightning has an issue with the 4R100 trans. When starting out from a stop or near stop, as soon as you touch throttle the trans acts like it is in 2nd gear and hesitates and then jumps to 1st gear and goes (at least this is what it feels like). If you make a complete stop and hold for 2-3 seconds, then it starts up in 1st gear and goes fine. If you slow but not to a complete stop, it acts up.

The truck has 156K miles and the trans is original. It has a shift kit installed since new, and has regular fluid changes. It started doing this once in a while, but now it is almost every time.

Does this problem ring a bell for anyone? Is this a common issue, or the start of a bigger problem? Is there a sensor that tells the computer the shaft speed and controls timing for down shift to 1st gear when stopping?

I would appreciate any advise!

Walt

walt460

SN95 Judge
Established Member
Spoke to a local trans shop today. We checked PCM for codes, none found. Then we monitored PCM controls for trans and all commands looked correct. After the test drive they concluded either the Sprag is bad or a valve in the valve body is sticking. So next week I will take it back and we will drop the pan and remove valve body to check out.

Users who are viewing this thread