4lb upgrade problem

steve goddard

Established Member
On my fourth diablo chip reburn from JLP and still not running correctly. Erratic idle, trying to stall, backfiring on deceleration, speedo off, no noticable increase in power . With all due respect to John I'm about ready to look for a local tuner who can reburn the chip after a dyno. Anyone know of Shaun Ellis in orange county ?

Maybe the problem has something to due with the 4:10's and the work the dealer did on the computer to recallibrate the speedo ? Also tempted to just put my stock pulley back on and reinstall my super chip.

LIGHTNINROD

Established Member
How does it run/idle without a chip?

The erratic idle/stalling could be caused by something as simple as a dirty IAC--common problem, especially on a 3 year old L.

Dan

steve goddard

Established Member
Originally posted by LIGHTNINROD
How does it run/idle without a chip?

The erratic idle/stalling could be caused by something as simple as a dirty IAC--common problem, especially on a 3 year old L.

Dan

Dan,
It idles smoothly without the chip. Going to have Shaun Ellis here in Los Angeles dyno my L and reburn the chip today. He was refered to me on the nloa web site.

What is an IAC ?
Thanks, Steve

LIGHTNINROD

Established Member
Steve: The IAC is the Idle Air Control and is part of eng. mgmt system. It is the aluminum casting that is bolted(with two bolts) to the rt. side of the upper intake plenum. It has a bright-metal little 'can'(electric motor inside) attached to it. It is non-adjustable but does get dirty and/or worn from the burnt carbon that collects inside of it. It has a valve that is opened by a signal from the PCM when you go to 'idle' as it allows a measured amount of air around the th/plates to give the eng. the proper amount of rpms.

From time-to-time, it's a good idea to remove it and let a solvent soak inside of it for a few mintues. You can use some Q-tips too.

I just realized, this is all you need:

http://198.65.157.241/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=104840

Dan

steve goddard

Established Member
Originally posted by LIGHTNINROD
Steve: The IAC is the Idle Air Control and is part of eng. mgmt system. It is the aluminum casting that is bolted(with two bolts) to the rt. side of the upper intake plenum. It has a bright-metal little 'can'(electric motor inside) attached to it. It is non-adjustable but does get dirty and/or worn from the burnt carbon that collects inside of it. It has a valve that is opened by a signal from the PCM when you go to 'idle' as it allows a measured amount of air around the th/plates to give the eng. the proper amount of rpms.

From time-to-time, it's a good idea to remove it and let a solvent soak inside of it for a few mintues. You can use some Q-tips too.

I just realized, this is all you need:

http://198.65.157.241/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=104840

Dan

Dan, Thanks for the info. Installed another diablo chip this afternoon after an extensive dyno. My truck seems to be running as close to perfect now as possible. Also picked up 24 lbs of torque. Only thing I migh thave done is take a little bit of the firmness out of the shifts.
All the best, SG

steve goddard

Established Member
Originally posted by I.V. BOLT
I have a JLP Diablo had no problems with it, I love it. 4 reburns? I think something else is the problem.

Installed another diablo chip today after a dyno session at Superior automotive in Garden Grove. Everything is much better now and also picked up about 24 lbs of torque. Shaun Ellis ( socaldiablochip.com ) did a real good job. Thanks .

COTA'00 L

I think your other chip connectors might have been worn out or something. Ive bought mods for my L twice, new chip included with the mods.

Users who are viewing this thread