4lb or 6lb pulley for stock Eaton?

Poon Pounder

Established Member
I'm comtemplating whether or not to get a 4lb pulley or just go straight into the 6lb. I heard its safer to go with a 4lb, but what other modifications would i need for a 6lb? Right now i have a AEM cold air intake, LFP single blade throttle body, and flowmaster exhaust. I have heard that the 6lb pulley causes the eaton to get overheated; if this is the case what do you guys Recommend?

Thanks for the help,

Mason

RUthLEss03

11.24@123
Established Member
I don't think a 6# will overheat the Eaton. It will make a little more heat than the 4# will, but I don't think it'll be an issue. What year is your L? It wouldn't be a bad idea to upgrade to a 90mm MAF or get a MAF extender. Other than that, just re-gap your plugs to .034". A DYNO TUNE IS MANDATORY!!!

Poon Pounder

Established Member
I have a 2001. I was thinking about just getting LFP Stage 1 SCT X3 Power Package with the 6lb. That Sct handheld tuner would that be maybe equivalent to a dyno tune, becuase I live in Twin Falls, Idaho and the closest Dyno is two hours away.

MJG

Established Member
I'd go 6 with the proper supporting MODS and ditch the canned tune from LFP.Do yourself a favour and get a good dyno tune from a reputable tuner, a 2 hour drive is much easier than putting a hole in your block.

04darkL

Dark Lightning
Established Member
4lb is safer w/o internals but if u go with a 6lb its border line. but both u will have to change plugs and get a trust worthy tune.

MJG

Established Member
4lb can be just as dangerous as a 6. People seem to forget that running anything that isn't stock can lead to problems if not properly supported/tuned. Many 4lb trucks blow too. Again, thats why I'd recommend a GOOD dyno tune.
Just because you get a 4 instead of a 6 does not mean your 'safe'

tribalightning

2 MUCH TRQ
Established Member
im with MJG.....also if you get a 4lbr i can almost guarantee that you are going to want a sixer down the road soon after you get it on...

04darkL

Dark Lightning
Established Member
4lb can be just as dangerous as a 6. People seem to forget that running anything that isn't stock can lead to problems if not properly supported/tuned. Many 4lb trucks blow too. Again, thats why I'd recommend a GOOD dyno tune.
Just because you get a 4 instead of a 6 does not mean your 'safe'

good point but its exactly what i said except more in depth. i was saying u can get way without internals with a 4lb. im sure most people knows if u change the air flow u definitly have to get a tune. or you will be running to lean. but your right and i am to just i didnt get much details.

03LCalgaryAB

Established Member
Just go with the 6. That's what I did :) and the truck is still too slow. Now I got a KB sitting in the garage. Dyno tune + supporting mods, your good to go.

MJG

Established Member
I did have a 4lb'r, then ported my blower and got a 6 lb. MUCH better. but good tune and supporting mods it's sweet.

Users who are viewing this thread