4lb lower / 2.93 Upper

RichM1983

Established Member
Hey guys. I just picked up this 03 Cobra about a month ago and haven't really got to drive it because of my work schedule and a few other issues but today when I was in the garage I noticed it has a lower pulley. I didn't realize that when I picked the car up. It looks like an LFP 4lb lower. Based on the crude measurement I get it is roughly 8.75 inch total diameter. That isn't exact but that puts it in the realm of a 4lb lower.

The question/concern I have is that that combo is unsafe on an unported blower. RIGHT? The previous owner said the blower had work done to it but there aren't any visible markings on the case and when I look through the inlet elbow it looks like its still a stock casting. It still has the stock TB as well. The only thing different about the blower is that the serial number stickers on the side are gone. The only mods I can see really for a car making extra power are a KB Boost a Pump and a Diablo Mafia.

Could the car be ported with a stock TB? How do I determine if it was REALLY ported?

I don't have any dyno sheets or any receipts for any work. The guy I got the car from didn't know much about the car. He was pretty naive.

I appreciate any advice...Thanks :beer:

svt4me38

BOWENZMOTORSPORTS.COM
Established Member
Take the tb and plenum off and post a pic of the blower opening. You should be able to notice if it has been worked.

RichM1983

Established Member
Ok it may look like it has work....What do you guys think?

DSC_0067.jpg

I'm going to take the elbow off to get better pics.

RichM1983

Established Member
Ok well scratch taking the inlet elbow off.....I can't get the one nut off down by the fuel rail and it's to late to work on that tonight. I think the pic I've got should say enough.....I can tell that its been worked.....It also looks like it has a ported stock TB and the inlet appears to have been worked to. When looking at stock units they don't look the same as what mine look. It looks like there are tooling marks correct?

ModularSpeed

Suspension Guru
Established Member
That is 100% for sure, a modded inlet.

It appears to be done nicely too...

You should pull the blower off and see what it looks like inside.

RichM1983

Established Member
So with my 2.93 upper and the 4lb lower I should be good to go?

Wonder what kind of power it makes? I haven't got to get on it yet because of the weather.

Last edited:

Senkak

SVT Poster
Established Member
So with my 2.93 upper and the 4lb lower I should be good to go?

Wonder what kind of power it makes? I haven't got to get on it yet because of the weather.

Your current combo is fine.
Your boost should be about 16-17lbs which is very streetable on 93 octane.
My only concern is that it is tuned properly for that boost level.
It would be a good idea to put the car on a dyno and have it checked.

Quick Strike

Established Member
What color are your injectors? Look at the bottom corner of the front supercharger where it meets the intake manifold. If there are numbers stamped there it is most likely a Steig port. They can tell you its porting status and history if you call with the stamped number.

mike69440

Established Member
Ok it may look like it has work....What do you guys think?

DSC_0067.jpg

I'm going to take the elbow off to get better pics.

Abosulutely had work done, nice job but I do not think it really makes all that much difference.
Get the tune checked and just don't get into it full throttle for more than 15 seconds at a time, you will be ok.

Last edited:

01Jes

Z06 bought with food stamps
Established Member
Your current combo is fine.
Your boost should be about 16-17lbs which is very streetable on 93 octane.
My only concern is that it is tuned properly for that boost level.
It would be a good idea to put the car on a dyno and have it checked.

I agree. Check the tune A/F ratio.

RichM1983

Established Member
What color are your injectors? Look at the bottom corner of the front supercharger where it meets the intake manifold. If there are numbers stamped there it is most likely a Steig port. They can tell you its porting status and history if you call with the stamped number.

Injectors are blue. I'll have to check to see if it has a number. Hopefully it does.

RichM1983

Established Member

Just checked the blower. There is a number stamped. 25604

So I just need to call and they can tell me what was done then?

Last edited:

svt4me38

BOWENZMOTORSPORTS.COM
Established Member

Yes... they should be able to tell you when it was ported and what stage port it is. Def have the tune checked out before you go WOT. Detonation would be NO BUENO!

Quick Strike

Established Member

Blue is the stock 39# injector.

Yes, they can tell you what has been done and when with that number. They also may know if the previous owner sent his stock injectors in to be upgraded to 60#s. I had the person that bought my ported Stage IV blower, plenum and TB call them to put his mind at ease about its condition and care.

Last edited:

RichM1983

Established Member
The PO did say it had been dyno tuned but I thought he was a little full of it.

Couldn't I just pick up a wide band to monitor my A/F ratio to determine if a dyno tune is necessary?

svt4me38

BOWENZMOTORSPORTS.COM
Established Member
The PO did say it had been dyno tuned but I thought he was a little full of it.

Couldn't I just pick up a wide band to monitor my A/F ratio to determine if a dyno tune is necessary?

I prefer the better safe than sorry. The more I know about my car, the better. Nothing like reassurance.

AlwaysBoosted

What's a SVT?
Established Member
Get it to a dyno and make sure everything is A OK, a small investment to prevent an expensive repair if detonation should occur.

Users who are viewing this thread