46stang and Bosko invade lacr!

46stang

Established Member
Well Bosko and I desided to give lacr a try last night! I Bought some slicks for my car and thought i would give them a try! I've never ever raced on slicks so bare that in mind! My 1st run. started with slightly warming the tires and a 3500rpm slip the clutch launch. I ran a 12.97 at 103mph on a 2.0 60ft. Let me just say, Slicks feel weird compared to street tires! A little scary at first! the car kind of sways back and forth as you go down the track! unsettling to say the least! The next pass i slipped the clutch at 4000rpm and got a 12.72 at 108mph 1.97 60ft! My last run, as the track was closing! I reved to 4200rpm and let the clutch out more aggressively! but didn't dump it! I ran a 12.50 at 109mph on a 1.80 60ft! I didn't power shift any of the runs as i was still trying to get used to the slicks! All in all I'm pleased as this track is 2700ft altitude and it was my 1st time ever on slicks! also I think I'm going to have to put some arp wheel studs as I bent the crap out of one stud and ended up snaping it off when i swithched back to the street tires! Oh well:) It was all fun! I'm sure i could have gotten a better time because i just started to get the feel for slicks when the track was closing!

Bosko ran some sweet times on his bfg radials as well! I'll let him post it though:)
Leon

SoCalBlk03

THE Clutch Killer!!
Established Member
Tetge,
Don't feel so bad. While I was preping my car to go home, the guys from X2C showed up. Next thing I know there were 4 other '03s out there. I knew it was time to go though. After my last run I was too disgusted with myself to be effective. :nonono:

BTW congrats guys, apparently I should have stayed to watch a little longer.:thumbsup:

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
Tetge, his MPH would dip down a bit due to the grip of the slicks, but in turn his ET would get better.

I came out with the X2C guys, traffic sucked so I got 2 runs in. My only two runs ever on this car, havent had time to come out yet.

First run was a delicious 14.86 at 96.3 mph, hopped bad in 1st, got off it, back to 2nd, then powershift from 2-5:( Damn the stock shifter, I thought it felt "good" on the street, on the track, I miss my Tri Ax.

2nd and final run pulled 13.68 at 105.7. A little better, I still have to get used to dragging this car. 2.38 60 foot on that run, ouch.

I made at least 40 passes there with my blown 98GT, took me awhile but finally I got some consistency going on my runs. I just need more time to play with the Cobra. :kaboom:

Bosko

Established Member
I was verry surprised with the DragRadials... Practically no Hop!
My times were as follows:

Run 1: 12.98 @ 111.99 2.224 60'
Run 2: 12.73 @ 112.18 2.018 60'
Run 3: 12.60 @ 112.82 2.018 60'

I cant wait to go back... I think me and 46stang could shave off some time after we get some practice

Bosko

Established Member
Ohhh BTW Tetege..... It was a spur of the moment thing.... We didnt decide to go untill yesterday afternoon at about 5:30...

SC457A

Established Member
dont ya like the nice soft sidewalls from slicks.. i have heard radial slicks are a little more solid feeling

randy

Established Member
Is Carlsbad still open???Socal how do the Nittos do if you really heat em up? My 60's didn't get better ANYWHERE until I learned proper burnout with the bfg's. If Carlsbad is gonna be open, I will give it a shot with the 19 lb pulley and try to run a 10.x

U SAY GO

Established Member
i am so confused not bashing just curious i thought a stock Cobra with a good driver went 12.50,s at 111 so i dont get all of these cobra owners with all these bolt ons running in the low 13,s to mid 12,s and with lower MPH!! only 103 to 105 MPH thats N/A Cobra territory i am so confused!!

Bosko

Established Member
Hey Randy... I saw a yellow 03 Cobra with KENNE BELL across the windshield. Exiting 101South at Santa Rosa Rd, Friday at about Noon... Wasnt it you?

46stang

Established Member
Tedge: Sorry i didn't tell you!! It was very last minute! I promise i will tell you when i go to C/bad. I'm surprised you weren't their! Thats like your second home:p I was a little concered about the mph as well! I wanted to make a pass on my street tires but they closed the track before i could! Bosko and i did a little 60mph 3rd gear race on the freeway on the way home and our cars where pretty even! we basically have the same mods and he ran 112mph so?? I think i can pick up a couple mph if i powershifted. I granny shifted every time because i was trying to get used to the slicks and i didn't want to put it into the wall, my 1st time out on slicks! I'm sure i will run a 11.xx at c/bad with some more practice on these tires!! as for the grudge thats cool!! It would be fun! I have to warn you though I cut the best light of the night at the track!! .512 :D At least thats what the guy in the tower said!Sorry, but i was a little proud of that! I'm sure it was luck though! I'm usually in the .7 to .8 range:D

USAYGO: yes a stock cobra can run the same times as mine! But it will never happen at LACR. A: track prep is non existant and B: it's 2700ft elevation! You have to live in so/cal to understand how bad our tracks our:cryying:

Fiveohdean: I wish i would have seen you there! I don't think any one did better than my 12.50 but i'm not sure??? were you there?? I know i could have shaved another .2 if i had power shifted but oh well! next time! My goal is to run a 11.99 so i can get kicked off the track for no cage:beer: I don't think it'll happen at lacr but I'm only .5 away:beer: more practice and a lower elevation track should remedy that!

Randy the latest rumor is Carlsbad will have the money for there insurance on feb. 1st, But who knows for sure:shrug: I wouldn't go the 1st weekend they open though as it will surely be packed! jmho.
Leon

Fiveohdean

Established Member
46stang,

I wasn't there. I would of come if I knew there would be so many 03's there. I'm only 15 minutes away so I'm there almost as much as Tetge. How strict is Carlsbad about running faster than 11.99? i'd like to go but thats a long drive for one pass. ;-)

46stang

Established Member
I doubt C/bad would kick you out! they are the least strict of all the tracks! You would probably need to run mid 11.s for them to boot you! Fontana will boot you though! 11.9999 and your gone!
Leon

SoCalBlk03

THE Clutch Killer!!
Established Member
Originally posted by USAYGO
i am so confused not bashing just curious i thought a stock Cobra with a good driver went 12.50,s at 111 so i dont get all of these cobra owners with all these bolt ons running in the low 13,s to mid 12,s and with lower MPH!! only 103 to 105 MPH thats N/A Cobra territory i am so confused!!

Not flaming you, just informing. LACR is a difficult track to put it midly. Also one key point, it's at 2770ft elevation. Lemmie out it in perspective for you. My sig says 432 RWHP right.....well that's corrected, actual observed is 393 RWHP. The altitude ie air density affects engine output that much. If I ran at or near sealevel as much of the east coast does then I'd be putting up the amazing #'s everyone else does. Don't belive me, check your local track elevation and then try to replicate your runs at high altitude someday. And as far as N/A cobras.... Heck with bolt 'ons and slicks they run high 13's in the high 90's @ LACR if they're lucky, Gt's high 14's.

Randy,
The one 12.9 of the night for me was with a 1.91 60ft. I couldn't get a good launch @ the same rpm from one run to the next so I was busy playing the guessing game, and lost. I was thuroughly heating the tires but the track and the ricers wern't helping. Good track prep got me 1.8's and 1.9's all day last sunday with 3K-4K drops, but the track was also warm. I'm still convinced the 315 nittos are the way to go but once again a cold track kicked my butt.

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
By the way So Cal guys, does anyone have a link to or an equation for a sea level correction factor for these LACR times?

SoCalBlk03

THE Clutch Killer!!
Established Member
Originally posted by 03 DSG Snake
By the way So Cal guys, does anyone have a link to or an equation for a sea level correction factor for these LACR times?

It's on their web site. LACR.net

Altitude Correction
LACR is 2,710 ft. above sea level.
To figure the altitude factor the formula is as follows:
ET: multiply your et (at LACR) by .9679
MPH: multiply your mph (at LACR) by 1.0337
This will give you the ET & MPH at sea level.

SoCalBlk03

THE Clutch Killer!!
Established Member
Originally posted by 03 DSG Snake
Thanks!

No problem. For a quickie conversion while you're at the track and don't feel like doing mardcore math, just shave a half second off your E/T and you'll be close;-)

randy

Established Member
Socal: thank you for the info...I should be getting the nittos in that size soon.
USAYGO: I have been to Sac Raceway, LACR, Carlbad, and Fontana....out of those 4, LACR is the worst at trying to get traction at.The best, by far was Sac Raceway....I could actually launch my car there instead of trying to slip the clutch through most of 1rst

46stang

Established Member
Thanks for the correction #'s!! That means i ran a 12.09@112mph! My mph blows, but i think some power shifting and more practice should help that! bosko and i raced on the final run and he has it on video! it was a good race! the funny thing is I ran a 12.50 to his 12.60 and got the win but he was like 2 cars ahead of me at the finish line??
leon

Users who are viewing this thread