$42,000 for what???

Silverstrike

It's to big to move FAST!
Established Member
Ran onto an SSR today no joke had 30 day tags the whole 9 yards so its out. If you don't know it the SSR is the 50 retro Convertable Truck Chevy is introducing this Summer. But the tool paid $42,000 and only has 290 HP and around 325/350 Ft LBS. TQ
But against even a stock L its no contest. As it huffs around 5300 LBS. of dead weight. Was at a light when it pulled beside first thought was a custom 53 but way to low and no roof. Then light changed and I was off can't let an opertunity like this go. It was real bad wish GM would of brought out the 330 HP that the concept had as it just was like picking on a defensless rabbit put a Greyhound bus length by 60 MPH and it would of been 2 by 100 MPH. Pulled into a Gas station and looked over both vehicles. The interior is not bad in fact its slightly more up scale over the L . The 5.3L engine like I said earlier needs more than the 290 HP it has.
The beds really just a cosmetic enhancement I think max payload is around 900 LBS. But here again GM makes a mockery of the SS name.:rollseyes So another victim for the Lightnings to pick on.
It was only interisting as I didn't run into one until now and was wondering just how effective they were, Now I can say no contest.:lol1: :lol1:

Vanride69

west bound and down
Established Member
but wait until ppl start putting s/c'ers and lots of bolt ons. I can definitly see someone driving around in a 500 RWHP SSR truck. If they can afford the 42k price tag, they can afford the basic bolt-ons and prolly even the not so basic ones.

OCCOBRA

Picture Whirled Peas
Established Member
Even with a supercharger, the wieght of 4800 pounds its going to be tough to compete. I think it's another retro fad that will come and go.

OCCOBRA

Picture Whirled Peas
Established Member
Plus all show and no go, that is a waste. For 8 to 10 k you could get a Z06 or a Cobra with 7k left to do mods with. A sucker is born every minute.

Silverstrike

Established Member
Originally posted by OCCOBRA
Plus all show and no go, that is a waste. For 8 to 10 k you could get a Z06 or a Cobra with 7k left to do mods with. A sucker is born every minute.

But admit it you would look so cool and in the in crowd with one
Right after the other 10 to 12 thousand get theres to.:rollseyes

Autoline Detroit on speed channel ripped it up by saying its nothing more than a $10,000 over priced toy like the Prowler and we all know what happened to that originally priced $35,000 Toy.:nonono: :nonono: But better yet You buy an L can carry more do to a bigger bed. And buy close to $10,000 in mods.

But yes the old saying is true a "Fool and his money is soon seperated."

Traveler

Two-time SVT Cobra guy
Established Member
I myself just don't get the concept. As a truck, its nearly worthless and weighs too much to compete performance-wise with realistic expectations against a Lightning or even a 2003 Thunderbird for that matter.
If the Thunderbird wasn't a hit, then this collage of show truck roadster will fall flat on its face within a few years...unless P.T. Barnum's theory does hold true as OCCOBRA has said. I know I certainly could think of something that performs better, looks better and is more functional to spend my money on.

Silverstrike

Established Member
Originally posted by sohowcome
Were you in the L or the black beast ?

The Lightning Going for some McChicken Nuggets.:D :D

SVTour99 I think this was one of the Indy Pace versions minus the decals GM made 15 of them for the Race. As it was that Metallic Purple As it was dusk I could not tell if it had those Ghost flames in front or not. And I didn't read the Temp plates it could of been from Mich. PA. Ohio or any other State as most use a Generic version outline.

nj7703

Established Member
It's a fad, like the Prowler was. It is a cruiser, not a racer. Some folks like to look fast, and have some "pep" Others want it all. Lets face it, if Chevy wanted a go fast truck, they would have made the new SS lines faster. Instead they opt for day to day driveablity. There is no competition for the L from GM, not in the near future either. The best hope is the new Dodge SRT10. Chrysler does not seem to be afraid of at least trying.

jimwood

Established Member
SSR is disgusting, straight WT. Damn I think GM has lost their mind. Probably, the same line of thinking that let the designer of the AZTEK design the new Corvette C6.

Too Funny.

SVTman75

My wallet hates me!
Established Member
No Lightning in 05....gotta wait til 06. Good news is that the 06 will be out probably in late 05. No SVT's will be made available in 05.

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
They had one at a local dealer here, and took it out for a spin. I heard that they were giving it hell, and something broke. It was either the crank or something with the transmission. The rumer is that it is eiter one or the other. One of my friends actually saw it being loaded up on the flatbed on the shoulder of I-64.

POS.

Users who are viewing this thread