40th Anniversary Mustang Celebration - Nashville

bka0721

Established Member
Most of you have no idea who I am, so thats probably good. But there has been much discussion about the upcoming 40th Anniv. Mustang Celebration at Nashville in April. I have read many are attending and that is good. I hope to meet many of you and put some faces with some of the names and I have read for many years. Be sure to stop by the garage and say hi.

The Vintage Race is set for the event and it has turned into a substantial field of talented racers. They have worked very hard in getting some exceptional talent participating. I hope to be competitive in my # 920. None the less, it should be a blast to participate and even great to watch.

In talking with my contacts, today, I learned that the MCA group finalized this week a late model Mustang race to run in conjunction with the Vintage Race. They have already signed a number of notable racers to participate in that event too. Some Steeda Racers and Tim Allen have signed up, along with a few others.

There are a number of "R" models going to the event, so it would be interesting to see a number of these folks that meet the licensing requirements, participate in their historical cars.

My question is, who has been contacted and who is going to race? Or is this a group of bench racers?

Ducking fast!

Bryan
www.heritagemotorsportsracing.com

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator

1995COBRA-R

20 Year Member
Established Member
Premium Member
watch out

I am responding to this only because Bryan mentioned "no idea of who I am".

I think I've meet him at the Glen? If so, he has a very fast GT350 (?) sorted by Cobra Automotive (?) out Of Ct (?). The guy is very fast. My memory remembers him as one of those guys that under-estimates his car/driver capabilities in the paddock and then laps you in the qualifing race!

A few of us from the south went to the Glen for the first time and were completely smoked by several northern based cars. We came home with our tails between our legs.

I think he documented the whole thing with some great photography?

Bryan, is this fact or am I dreaming?:??: :idea: :beer:

tomshep

Another R Addict
Established Member
Re: watch out

Originally posted by 1995COBRA-R
I am responding to this only because Bryan mentioned "no idea of who I am".

I think I've meet him at the Glen? If so, he has a very fast GT350 (?) sorted by Cobra Automotive (?) out Of Ct (?). The guy is very fast. My memory remembers him as one of those guys that under-estimates his car/driver capabilities in the paddock and then laps you in the qualifing race!

A few of us from the south went to the Glen for the first time and were completely smoked by several northern based cars. We came home with our tails between our legs.

I think he documented the whole thing with some great photography?

Bryan, is this fact or am I dreaming?:??: :idea: :beer:

Yes, you are dreaming.;-) :rolleyes: :D :beer:

Bryan is yet to drive his GT350 but he does have a couple other cars that are sorta nice.:beer:

Tom

1995COBRA-R

20 Year Member
Established Member
Premium Member
Re: Re: watch out

Originally posted by tomshep
Yes, you are dreaming
Tom

Tom, I think it may be called senility but thanks for staying with dreaming.

I talked to a friend last night that was at the Glen. He remembered the names (and none were Bryan). We did get badly out gunned, and one of the drivers was a lady (some of you may know her, she was an instructor at the Glen [and may still be there]). Two of the cars were sorted at Cobra Automotive out of Wallingford, CT.

bka0721

Established Member
Hey Doc & Hi tom

Nothing wrong with dreaming, it makes life more enjoyable. I make a point to save time for that every day.

I don't think anyone has ever described me as fast. The only ones that I pass regularly are the corner workers and they always acknowledge my approach by waving these really pretty blue flags with a bit of yellow accent, on them!

I did get clocked at 154 MPH by State Patrol aircraft on the Boulder/Denver turnpike, early one Sunday in a Camaro. I have posted consistent qualifying sub minute laps at Lime Rock, 2.27 laps qualifying at Road America. So I do have moments of whimsy.

Some of your comments are factual, but the person I believe you are referring to is; Chuck Bentley. He is pretty good in a GT 350 and lives and races, frequently, on the East coast. I believe the lady's name is Lauren; last name escapes me at the moment.

Oh, well, it’s a Sunday morning, back to the Sunday paper and some dreaming of my own.

Bryan

JoeJ

Established Member
Hey Bryan,

Will you be bringing the Shelby Cobra or the new GT350 to Nashville. I would love to run on the track with you again. Hmmm..You can wait until I get close to a corner and then come screaming by...lol...I will be running open track on Thursday, Friday, and Saturday. Not sure if they would let me on the track in a wheel to wheel race...Maybe, we can talk Kevin into bringing his 2000 R and running it..Of Course Gene Burton or some of the other NASA guys should be there to represent some race prepared Mustangs.

Cobra R Man

IMSA RACE CAR
Established Member
Originally posted by bka0721
Hey Doc & Hi tom

Nothing wrong with dreaming, it makes life more enjoyable. I make a point to save time for that every day.

I don't think anyone has ever described me as fast. The only ones that I pass regularly are the corner workers and they always acknowledge my approach by waving these really pretty blue flags with a bit of yellow accent, on them!

I did get clocked at 154 MPH by State Patrol aircraft on the Boulder/Denver turnpike, early one Sunday in a Camaro. I have posted consistent qualifying sub minute laps at Lime Rock, 2.27 laps qualifying at Road America. So I do have moments of whimsy.

Some of your comments are factual, but the person I believe you are referring to is; Chuck Bentley. He is pretty good in a GT 350 and lives and races, frequently, on the East coast. I believe the lady's name is Lauren; last name escapes me at the moment.

Oh, well, it’s a Sunday morning, back to the Sunday paper and some dreaming of my own.

Bryan
NAMES...

Lauren Fix, a very competitive driver, back when she had her '66 Must. coupe('99). Now, I think she has an old Roush tube chassis car. I'm sure what ever she drives she'll be going to the front.

I'm sure she'll be there with something on track.

Gene

Last edited:

bka0721

Established Member
Hi Mark.

You would do well with the group running. Confirmed running will be Steve Saleen and Tim Allen in their Trans Am cars. Also running in the race will be IMSA style and GT1 Mustangs. The field is to be 10 cars. The MCA group is running this group and Kopec is running the Vintage side.

Practice will have all of the race groups running at the same time in 30 minute sessions. This is the same style as the BRIC at Road America.

Rick is not aware of the person's name that is running the late model group for MCA, but I will check Monday.

It would be fun to run with you again, Mark.

bryan

bka0721

Established Member
[Hey Bryan,

Will you be bringing the Shelby Cobra or the new GT350 to Nashville. I would love to run on the track with you again. Hmmm..You can wait until I get close to a corner and then come screaming by...lol...I will be running open track on Thursday, Friday, and Saturday. Not sure if they would let me on the track in a wheel to wheel race...Maybe, we can talk Kevin into bringing his 2000 R and running it..Of Course Gene Burton or some of the other NASA guys should be there to represent some race prepared Mustangs.]

Hi Joe.

Nice hearing from you again. Hopefully you are going to work less during your retirement in 2004!

Last I heard, Kevin was putting his Open Track Challenge car back together, in time for the OTC. Nothing better that taking things apart and putting them back together again. But I understood that he would not be making the Nashville event. Too bad, it would be fun to run with Kevin. He is fast and smooth.

It will be fun to get out and run with you again. Hopefully you won't be too hard on me and let me keep up with you. No decision yet, on which I am bringing. But you shouldn't have too much trouble in finding me, nor I you.

Be careful on your trip up. Del and Roy have been really bending my arm to come down to Texas and run this Fall. We will have to see how it all works out. Zippo really has my attention for Fall.

bryan

1995COBRA-R

20 Year Member
Established Member
Premium Member

but the person I believe you are referring to is; Chuck Bentley. I believe the lady's name is Lauren; last name escapes me at the moment.

Bryan

Yes, Chuck is the fastest of the C.A. cars. Lauren was driving the '66 when she went by me. They had just bought the tube frame car (the '66 was up for sale and is a very well done car). This was just before Paul, her husband, had tried Trans Am. He is also very fast. I believe Lauren's Dad started Classic Tube? Does she still instruct?

I think the Zippo GP now rivals Monterey as the most prestigious vintage event in the States.

I am looking forward to Nashville. It sounds like alot of great drivers and cars will be there.

93SVTCobra

Established Member
Well I'm signed up for the celebrity race!!! Should be VERY cool!

Thanks Bryan for letting me know about it.

bka0721

Established Member
Originally posted by 93SVTCobra
B list (actually C list but don't tell anyone!)

Hey Mark.

That is great news!!!! I was wondering if anyone would actually follow up on my original posting. Just watch out for Steve Saleen, he can be pretty pushy on the track. I understand there will be a S7 running with our group, while we are practicing. We have 30 minute sessions and you won't need your open track time, because your Race Entry gives you access to the other groups. Good luck . . . and look for me on your inside when braking.

Also, a big thanks to Kevin for sending me a video of the road course, at Nashville.

Bryan

kevin

Hey Mark.

That is great news!!!! I was wondering if anyone would actually follow up on my original posting. Just watch out for Steve Saleen, he can be pretty pushy on the track. I understand there will be a S7 running with our group, while we are practicing. We have 30 minute sessions and you won't need your open track time, because your Race Entry gives you access to the other groups. Good luck . . . and look for me on your inside when braking.

Also, a big thanks to Kevin for sending me a video of the road course, at Nashville.

Bryan

that was a rain tape. hope you don't have any "unusual" on track corrections to make;-)

Users who are viewing this thread