40hp mod -- gap your plugs correctly!!

Jon

Relax, have a homebrew!
Established Member
A few of you who were at this weekend's NorCal dyno day will recall that I had severe missing on the dyno and could not break 400hp despite having a L-pulley, chip, and exhaust. Vince, a technician and our dyno operator, suggested my spark plug gap may be too wide. I originally gapped my NGK TR6's at .040 for the 3.2" pulley. But with the 2.93 he said I would need to close the gap down to .035 or smaller. Man, I can't believe I missed that. I was really kicking myself that evening. This was supposed to be the dyno run to validate my new Amazon chip.

This morning I just couldn't stand it any longer and I went out to the driveway and regapped my plugs while still in my pajamas. My 3 and 5 year old sons sat on the porch and watched my whole obsessed act. They had that look of disbelief like I was trying to build a time machine out of plywood and duct tape. Like Dad has finally lost his marbles. But it did not take long and I was done before a crowd formed in the street.

I did a couple of full throttle runs on my way into work and the difference is amazing.

As it turns out those plugs must have worn down over the last 7500 miles as most were in the .046 -.050 range. Geez, no wonder it was so sluggish on the dyno. :idea:

Last edited:

03DOHC

Established Member
Glad to see you got it figured out Jon.:thumbsup: Have you considered going to irridium plugs or staying with the stock plugs, which I believe are platinum?

That erosion of the copper plugs you saw is the main reason I didn't go with copper. They are a lot cheaper to replace though.

Poisonous Mods

little moddie
Established Member
Did u take any pics of the plugs?

Cause my are gapped at .040 & trying to figure out if the gap was a problem....
Just a few variables im trying to get away from. :D

Jon

Relax, have a homebrew!
Established Member
You have the irriduiums? Sure, makes sense to me to switch.

I was really careful when I originally gapped those plugs at .040. If they are going to erode at .001" per 1000 miles then I will definately invest in better plugs.

What's the model number of the irridiums? I'll pick 'em up now!!! (you did pretty well on the dyno for an otherwise stock car ):)

Jon

Relax, have a homebrew!
Established Member
Originally posted by Poisonous Mods
Did u take any pics of the plugs?

Cause my are gapped at .040 & trying to figure out if the gap was a problem....
Just a few variables im trying to get away from. :D

No, in my haste I did not take pics. The condition of the plugs was picture perfect though -- just normal errosion.

03DOHC

Established Member
Originally posted by Jon
You have the irriduiums?
Yes.

What's the model number of the irridiums? I'll pick 'em up now!!!
Denso IT22. Shop around as they are expensive. I gapped mine at .035" and Vince showed me where there was some blowout at the top. He told me to go down to .032" and he said that should take care of it.

(you did pretty well on the dyno for an otherwise stock car ):)
:-D

broke7

Stock IRS Guru
Established Member
I have mt TR6's gapped at .039-.040, and have no problem whatsoever.

Thats crazy it caused that much of a problem for you. I might doublecheck some gap tonight just for the sake of this thread.

Jon

Relax, have a homebrew!
Established Member
My commute home today was less than perfect: the car felt week and even on the edge of stumbling during part throttle acceleration. It's the worse feeling.

So I am starting to think .035" is too small to light off the lean mixtures these cars are tunned to (while cruising). I think the OEM gap is .054 for a reason. Maybe, for a daily driver, less than .040 is too small?

I re-checked the gaps tonight and they are right at .035".

Ok, so tomorrow I'll pop for a new set of irridiums and gap them to .035. That's what yours are at right Dan?

Poisonous Mods

little moddie
Established Member
No i remember checking my Stock Plug Gaps & its at .048.

I had some problems or just in my imagination.
Well i thought the freaking plugs were gapped to small .037 out of the box. NKG TR6.

So after messing around trying to locate why im having the weird feeling out of the car i decided to gap them to .040.

Now plugs dont look right. :(

03DOHC

Established Member
Originally posted by Jon
My commute home today was less than perfect: the car felt week and even on the edge of stumbling during part throttle acceleration. It's the worse feeling.

So I am starting to think .035" is too small to light off the lean mixtures these cars are tunned to (while cruising). I think the OEM gap is .054 for a reason. Maybe, for a daily driver, less than .040 is too small?

I re-checked the gaps tonight and they are right at .035".

Ok, so tomorrow I'll pop for a new set of irridiums and gap them to .035. That's what yours are at right Dan?
Yes, however, I did get some spark blowout at that gap. Vince told me to reduce it to .032". I haven't got around to doing it yet. Maybe this weekend. I tried calling you earlier, but you didn't answer.

Jon

Relax, have a homebrew!
Established Member
Oh, one more note: I get more thud-thud-thud in the exhaust while cruising now. I'm going to hook up the autotap tomorrow and count misfires.

Poisonous Mods

little moddie
Established Member
Originally posted by Jon
Oh, one more note: I get more thud-thud-thud in the exhaust while cruising now. I'm going to hook up the autotap tomorrow and count misfires.
:lol: not at u but thats what i get once in a while.

Slow RPM driving causes my exhaust to make the Thud / Thud noise but u can feel it from the gas pedle.

Let me know what ur Autotap tells ya.
:beer:

Jon

Relax, have a homebrew!
Established Member
The thud-thud-thud is from weak combustion, perhaps even missing. It'll heat up the cats trying to burn that fuel. You'll notice a rise in cabin temp from the cats.

Poisonous Mods

little moddie
Established Member
Originally posted by Jon
The thud-thud-thud is from weak combustion, perhaps even missing. It'll heat up the cats trying to burn that fuel. You'll notice a rise in cabin temp from the cats.

The Catch is...I DONT HAVE CATS.

I think it might be cause i have an exhaust leak but id really like to know what u find out with the Autotap. :D

Just in case i can use ur info :beer:

Jon

Relax, have a homebrew!
Established Member
Sure, I'll let you know about the misfiring. I did a visual for exhaust leaks and found none. I generally look for a soot trail. Next I'll trying looking with the car running.

Heck, I am getting headers this winter. Maybe I'll wait until then to examine the exhaust system.

2F2F

[2 F]ast [2 F]urious
Established Member
Originally posted by Jon
think the OEM gap is .054 for a reason.
As measured a week after I took delivery of the vehicle, gapped ~.042 all around.

SoCalBlk03

THE Clutch Killer!!
Established Member
Originally posted by ox03
As measured a week after I took delivery of the vehicle, gapped ~.042 all around.

Same here, heck I used them as a reference to gap my NGK's. Although some concrete numbers would be nice.

DD2000GT

VNMS 13
Established Member
My stock plugs were gapped at .048 give or take .002. I originally gapped my TR6's at .038, as I don't have a pulley, but this gap did not work well for me. I upped the gap to .040 and it made a big difference. That is what I am running now.

Users who are viewing this thread