4000RPM Idle... TPS Question

Solo500

Established Member
I recently had the CEL come on for low voltage on the TPS. I just replaced it with a TPS Sensor from AutoZone and it idles at 4000RPM! I unplugged it and the idle dropped to 1200 but then shot back up to 4000rpm. I checked and there's no vacuum leaks or codes being thrown. What could be the culprit?

EDIT: Yes I reset the ECU

drivebymashing

Established Member
whats wrong with a 4000 rpm idle? power shifting would be nice and easy...
whats about the intake gasket would that make it have a higher than normal idle

Chris98vobra

Too much boost
Established Member
This can also happen if the EEC is trying to correct for a very rich situation. It uses the IAC to add air. What do your fuel trims look like?

OldSVTGuy

Established Member
You may have to let the computer "learn" the new TPS, assuming it is good. Disconnect the battery cables for about 20 minutes. Then reconnect and start. Hopefully, your ECU will learn the new sensor. Otherwise, like the others, I'd suggest a vacuum leak or a bad IAC. Also, same for the IAC as I see you replaced that, too.

Check over your work and see that all your vacuum lines and intake tube connections are tight.

Good luck.....

jareds99slobra

Established Member
maybe w the tps when u unplug it if its getting good voltage the car will idle up and down. the iacv will also make it do that. idk if the egr would have a lot to do with it ideling that high

yeller1

Established Member
You may have to let the computer "learn" the new TPS, assuming it is good. Disconnect the battery cables for about 20 minutes. Then reconnect and start. Hopefully, your ECU will learn the new sensor. Otherwise, like the others, I'd suggest a vacuum leak or a bad IAC. Also, same for the IAC as I see you replaced that, too.

Check over your work and see that all your vacuum lines and intake tube connections are tight.

Good luck.....
I would try what oldsvtguy suggested. Disconnect the battery for a bit to clear the keep alive memory. I remember on my 5.0, it usually took me 30 minutes to clear it. Not sure how long on the 4.6, but if he suggests 20, go for it.:rockon:

01yellercobra

Established Member
Dumb question....Is the throttle closing all the way? Maybe when you swapped the TPS something got stuck.

Users who are viewing this thread