4-Year-Old Mich. Boy Drives Mother's Car

sikwitit36

Banned
4-Year-Old Mich. Boy Drives Mother's Car

SAND LAKE, Mich. - A boy drove his mother's car to a video store in the middle of the night, police said — and he's all of 4 years old.

Even though he was unable to reach the accelerator, the boy managed to put the car in gear and the idling engine provided enough power to take him slowly to the store, a quarter-mile from his home, about 1:30 a.m. Friday, Police Chief Doug Heugel said. Finding the store closed, the youngster began a slow trip home.

Weaving and with its headlights off, the car got the attention of police Sgt. Jay Osga, who initially thought he was following a driverless car that had taken off after being left running at a gas pump.

The car turned into the boy's apartment complex and struck two parked cars, then backed up and struck Osga's police car.

That's when Osga discovered the boy inside.

"He knew how to go from forward to reverse," Osga said Monday. "The mother said she taught him how to drive by letting him sit on her lap and steer."

No charges will be filed against the boy or his mother, Heugel said.

"He's 4 years old. His mom didn't even know he was up," Heugel told The Grand Rapids Press. "I don't think he even realizes what he did."

Last edited:

NyteByte

Pro-Freedom
Established Member
Wow, I'm shocked that they let the mother off. This is good.

With the crazy "laws" these days, you'd expect them convict the mother for child neglect and send the kid to foster care.

sikwitit36

Banned
The future speed racer. Only 4 and decides to steal mommies car in the middle of the nite. What the hell was he thinking. Wanted to get some chocolate milk or what. In the story it sounds like he had a mission. And he was destined to get there. Kids are so damn funny.

Last edited:

T-Bolt

Official 'ring tow rig...
Established Member
NyteByte said:
Wow, I'm shocked that they let the mother off. This is good.

With the crazy "laws" these days, you'd expect them convict the mother for child neglect and send the kid to foster care.

It sounds like a small town, so people still actually have their wits about them, unlike my yuppie-infested, sue-happy town.

Vancouver83LTD

Established Member
haha, that's one of those great icebreakers in a conversation with a girl
"so tell me a little about yourself"
"I once drove a car to the video store and back when I was four"
lol
props to the kid
My kids will learn to drive at 6 though! not 4.

Captain Steve

Established Member
Hahaha, I used to drive an old airport tractor around my dads boatyard when I was 8 or so. Ah, the joy of an unsprung solid rear axle.

Four years old is priceless.

He'll be driving a stick soon :)

Users who are viewing this thread