4" rear drop performance

fordification

Established Member
Either its all in my head or there is a slight change in handling from dropping the back down. As far as handling in a truck goes, it just feels like it stays square with less body roll around the corners.

It actually measured out to be 3" at the bumper and 2" at the wheel.

Also the 180 rotation on the shims worked great.

DSC02677.jpg

DSC02691.jpg

I'll need some better photos.

tribalightning

2 MUCH TRQ
Established Member
that has to be an 03/04....the rears on those suckers are jacked high! my buddy has a 04 and i cant believe how high the rear sits!i guess the 99-02's got the crappy heads with lower suspension out back and the 03/04's got the good heads and jacked rears lol and fordification...go to the how to's and get that front bumper gap taken care of!

INFAMOU$

The Infamous Project
Established Member
That's a 4" drop? Needs another 4 :p.. LOL those 03-04's are jacked up so high lol.. You will notice a change in performance with the drop for sure..

fordification

Established Member
Looks like I might have spoke too soon. I can here a slight vibration at low speed/deceleration. no other time, even at 100+.

With this tire/wheel combo, any big drop would make it look funny. I want to keep an even gap around the wheel well.

Helper leaf would give it that extra 3/4" to even it right out but thats probably it for getting the angle with the shim flip.

MJG

Established Member
Looks like I might have spoke too soon. I can here a slight vibration at low speed/deceleration. no other time, even at 100+.

With this tire/wheel combo, any big drop would make it look funny. I want to keep an even gap around the wheel well.

Helper leaf would give it that extra 3/4" to even it right out but thats probably it for getting the angle with the shim flip.

With the wheel and tire combo? Big drops on stock rim/rubber look sweet, no need to go pimpin' with some big 22s or anything.
Don't have to Pimp your ride Xzibit style like Infamou$ did rollin' around on 23s:D

fordification

Established Member
With the wheel and tire combo? Big drops on stock rim/rubber look sweet, no need to go pimpin' with some big 22s or anything.
Don't have to Pimp your ride Xzibit style like Infamou$ did rollin' around on 23s:D

It's all personal preference. I'd rather have the wheelwell hug the tire right around the edge.

The drop is probably all the cosmetics I'll be doing. I'll be leaning toward the performance end now.

Last edited:

MJG

Established Member
My friend has the eibach springs, my advice, don't bother.
If you want to retain ride quality, do 2" spindles up front. You will lose turning radius slightly, if that means anything to you.
You could do lower control arms but I have no experience with those to vouch for ride quality.

fordification

Established Member
Any ideas on adjusting the shims for the low speed vibration? I read half a dozen posts saying they had the jlp's and rotating the shim without any problems.

fordification

Established Member
Here's some more pics. I just love the stance now. And I know its just a truck, but I can feel it hugging the road alot better.

DSC02707.jpg

DSC02704.jpg

DSC02708.jpg

DSC02696.jpg

fordification

Established Member
So I bought this angle finder and I thought I could get it to work but its very imprecise.
show_image_in_imgtag.php

I was thinking of trying this and just subtracting the shaft angle by the pinion/u-joint angle.
show_image_in_imgtag.php

I can get what looks like a level that digitally measures angles for $90. And I will probably need it again for building my 68 coupe.

Any suggestions?

Users who are viewing this thread