4 post garage lift question

prs97

Established Member
Hi All.

I hope everyone had a merry Christmas, Hannukah, Festivus, and/or any other holiday that recently occurred.

I'm doing research on 4 post garage lifts and my brain is hurting after all of the reading I've been doing from a variety of sources over the last few weeks.

I'm looking to store both the Terminator and the 911 in a tiny assed garage. After about 12,000 rounds with the measuring tape (and a plan to get the ceiling height raised), I'm confident I can fit one but it will be a matter of finding the right brand/model that fits.

I think I'm narrowed down to offerings from Bendpak, Advantage, Atlas, Triumph, & Wildfire but I'm having trouble vetting who makes a better product.

I don't want to cheap out, especially on safety/construction quality but don't need a brick shit house either since I'm just storing a weekend car.

You all have some feedback you can share on how these would compare to one another?

Thanks in advance!

prs97

Established Member
I was leaning toward the HD9 (and not the narrow HD9-ST version for that reason).

I've been reading that Bendpak's customer service stinks and parts are slow to arrive. Not sure if that's pervasive or just the internet being cranky.

HEMIMACH 98

Established Member
20200607_112005.jpg

this is a car lift / park a car under for more room in the shop.
but I use it to work on the cars.
this one is a tux Cito black bend pack 29000-pound 4 post.
I
20200606_195048.jpg
got a hell of a deal on it new for 2300 at the time.
I dose what I need it to do.
I also picked up the slide jack for it.

specracer

SVTOA MCA
Premium Member
Do you have a local dealer that will provide installation and service? If yes, what brand to they sell? I have Challenger lifts for this reason (6 of them). I totally have the tools and ability to install these, BUT after I watched the people that do it daily, I would not want to (I even have a forklift). They receive it off the truck, have specialized tools to move the heavy pieces around etc....

About to buy one in Florida, and Direct is in the lead at the moment, because there is a dealer that sells them, and even has stock.

HEMIMACH 98

Established Member
Do you have a local dealer that will provide installation and service? If yes, what brand to they sell? I have Challenger lifts for this reason (6 of them). I totally have the tools and ability to install these, BUT after I watched the people that do it daily, I would not want to (I even have a forklift). They receive it off the truck, have specialized tools to move the heavy pieces around etc....

About to buy one in Florida, and Direct is in the lead at the moment, because there is a dealer that sells them, and even has stock.
I put this one up myself it's pretty easy and simple instructions, most of it is pre-assembled. i think that one with a buddy can do it with the right tools
such as come Along's jack stands and hand tools

BenTX

Established Member
The amount of options can be overwhelming, but most have similar specs and pricing. As mentioned, if you’re not planning to do the install yourself I would call local dealers / vendors and get some quotes since you already have your dimensions.

prs97

Established Member
I'm planning on going through a dealer/installer for this.

I've found some locally for Challenger lifts and some other brands that don't look like they'd fit.

I'm working on finding local ones who support the ones that "should" fit.

Cobra Jet

Established Member
Aside from your measurements for height/width and if the vehicles will fit (or not), the very first thing you should do or know is:

Can your garage slab support the lift and is the concrete suitable for such? Many overlook this aspect and it can be a dangerous decision, or a costly one if finding out AFTER ordering the lift…

Maybe you already have hit this forum, but The Garage Journal is another site I have been a member on for years. There is a TON of great folks there who have a lot to offer for this specific subject matter. Not saying the folks here don’t have good info, but it’s kind of like going to a forum about yoga and asking them how to swap a transmission ….

You don’t want to overlook anything when wanting to put in a lift, more so when the overall cost to do so is not “cheap”.

Also every State/Township is different, so check to see if you need any zoning variances, permits, or if you ever decided to sell the home if having a lift would have any negative impact or create issues when selling.

prs97

Established Member
Garage Journal has definitely been helpful with the research.

The status of the concrete floor is on the list of items being reviewed as well.

Fat Boss

Established Member
I put a BendPak into my folks' garage last summer. They have a 3 car garage with a pretty high ceiling, which allows enough height to store my Falcon on the lift while my dad parks his '32 Five Window Coupe under it.

In addition to the width check, be sure you have enough room in the approach direction for the length of the ramps as well as whatever garage door you're going to use. It's not easy to see in this picture, but I had to cut about 2 feet off the over head door tracks to make room for the posts. There's just enough left to allow the door to open sufficiently to drive a mid thirties sedan through, while also staying up without any modifications to the springs that hold the door. I believe it was just luck that this part of the install went as smoothly as it did.

I also had my electrician install a 240V sub-panel within arm's reach of the controls for the lift. If anything were to happen with the switch, and it stuck "on" then I can quickly reach over and flip the breaker to the lift. While he was at it, I had him put an outlet for a welder and some 120V outlets. For sure go 240V to the lift if you can. It makes it a much faster unit.

Install and delivery was $1500, which was a bargain. It took the installer about two days with his helper to get it all together. He was very experienced, and claimed to have installed over 3000 of them between his dad and then him over the years. It was also a VERY tight fit for the installer to get his forklift in and out of the garage under the opened garage door. There was less than a half inch of clearance. Again, luck prevailed.

I think I paid my electrician about $3k for the panel, outlets, and drop.

80-bendpak_lift_930576e75ebce74d99e1f8a3dcf42e3600fe5679.jpg

80-breaker_panel_57ed00a2bed90bc6495a1d697a7c182bfbad52de.jpg

Lambeau

Superfleck Moonbird
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
Aside from your measurements for height/width and if the vehicles will fit (or not), the very first thing you should do or know is:

Can your garage slab support the lift and is the concrete suitable for such? Many overlook this aspect and it can be a dangerous decision, or a costly one if finding out AFTER ordering the lift…

Maybe you already have hit this forum, but The Garage Journal is another site I have been a member on for years. There is a TON of great folks there who have a lot to offer for this specific subject matter. Not saying the folks here don’t have good info, but it’s kind of like going to a forum about yoga and asking them how to swap a transmission ….

You don’t want to overlook anything when wanting to put in a lift, more so when the overall cost to do so is not “cheap”.

Also every State/Township is different, so check to see if you need any zoning variances, permits, or if you ever decided to sell the home if having a lift would have any negative impact or create issues when selling.

...and check with your insurance agent. Make sure you are covered, God forbid anything would happen.

Pribilof

Life's Better @ Elevation
Established Member
Been talking to a local independent lift installer, servicer. He said to forget Atlas, Direct and the like. "Low Tier" is how he described them. Bendpak HD-9 was his recommendation if you don't want to spend the money on a commercial grade lift.

Any thoughts on the HD-9 vs the Advantage DX-9000? An air scissor jack sounds really nice versus the manual.

Fat Boss

Established Member
Been talking to a local independent lift installer, servicer. He said to forget Atlas, Direct and the like. "Low Tier" is how he described them. Bendpak HD-9 was his recommendation if you don't want to spend the money on a commercial grade lift.

Any thoughts on the HD-9 vs the Advantage DX-9000? An air scissor jack sounds really nice versus the manual.

I sprung for the rolling air jack on mine. It is not cheap, but it works great.

Rb0891

Established Member
Premium Member

Personally I don’t think the air jack is worth it. Manual works fine and is worth it. How often are you going to be using it? If it’s a bunch you are in the wrong category of lifts.

prs97

Established Member
...and check with your insurance agent. Make sure you are covered, God forbid anything would happen.
I think that is going to be another achilles heel.

Even though it "might" fit on paper, it might not really work so well in practice. Increases the chances of something happening.

Users who are viewing this thread