4 piston rear brake kit who has them

mach1033

Established Member
I have the wikwood 6 piston front kit on and the only rear kit available disables the parking brake which is unacceptable. I've searched and searched and zilch.

mod mod t56

u can go faster
Established Member
I know that bigger brakes work better but enough to off set the price? Or is this a pure race application? 100-0in ft difference with 6piston up front and 4piston out back? I have stock calipers slotted drilled rotors and hawk pads I think they work good for us I don't know any better...

mach1033

Established Member
Al, there really are no kits available. one option is to buy the 4 piston kit of your choice and find parking brake calipers on ebay.
here is a thread from a local forum im on and a member built his own setup using a pair of Ferrari parking brake calipers.
http://norcalsvtoa.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10379

hope this helps.

That was a good read Gabe thanks for the link. I have buddy here in NY that could probably duplicate this. I'm gonna buy the wilwood kit from Maximum Motorsports and take it from there.

mach1033

Established Member
I know that bigger brakes work better but enough to off set the price? Or is this a pure race application? 100-0in ft difference with 6piston up front and 4piston out back? I have stock calipers slotted drilled rotors and hawk pads I think they work good for us I don't know any better...

I'm a man that doesn't like to do much mis matching if possible. Also I plan to do some open track events. It probably is overkill but it will look nice once done.

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
I'm a man that doesn't like to do much mis matching if possible.

Then stick with stock brakes or upgrade the front and rear together. Your front brakes have two pistons in a floating caliper or four pistons in a fixed caliper because the front brakes do about 70% of the braking for the vehicle. This is also why your front rotors are 13" diameter and 28mm thick. There is also a reason your rear brakes have one smaller piston in the floating caliper, the rotor is only 11.66" in diameter and the rotor thickness is 19mm. The reason for the smaller brake on the rear is because the rear brakes are only responsible for about 30% of the braking capacity of the vehicle.

Also I plan to do some open track events.

Then for sure you don't want to put a four piston caliper on the rear. That is unless you install 15" or 16" front brakes on the car. Otherwise you're going to have to install a brake bias adjuster on your car and turn the rear brakes almost completely off because they will be throwing off the brake bias. Not to mention the fact that you're adding rotating mass and unsprung weight to the rear suspension of the vehicle and that actually is a downgrade in performance as far as accelerating and handling in concerned. Although it 'may' brake a shorter distance in a straight line but only if the rear end doesn't swap with the front end. :rollseyes If you don't install a brake bias adjuster your new rear brakes will become a problem when braking and your rear end will want to swap with your front end under heavy braking loads. This is not optimal. So why would you upgrade rear brakes that require 30% of the vehicle's braking to a system designed for the front of the car that does 70% of the braking?

It probably is overkill but it will look nice once done.

Absolutely it's overkill which is why you hardly ever see it done. This is why you need to search the internet for the three people that HAVE done it that didn't know any better. :rolleyes:

If you want to upgrade your brakes put 14" four piston Brembo brakes on the front of the car:

http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...rake-conversion-kits-now-available&highlight=

You can easily upgrade the FRONT brakes on your car without upgrading the rear brakes and your car will not become unbalanced 'brake wise'. It's just the rear brakes will become less of a contributor to the overall braking process. You be at more like a 75%-25% or at 80-20. This would never cause a problem or be a safety issue like four piston caliper rear brakes would with 13" rotors.

After you upgrade your front brakes you can convert your existing rear caliper to a 13" rotor and keep your existing emergency brake.

(After doing a search, I now see that I have never made a thread here on SVTP regarding the SN-95 13" rear brake conversion we offer. So keep your eyes peeled for one shortly. )

:thumbsup::coolman::beer:

mach1033

Established Member
(After doing a search, I now see that I have never made a thread here on SVTP regarding the SN-95 13" rear brake conversion we offer. So keep your eyes peeled for one shortly. )
Chop chop :)
:thumbsup::coolman::beer:[/QUOTE]

iismet

Established Member
I started Open Tracking last year. The first thing I did was swap to Wilwood 6 piston up front. The car stopped much, much better, but I was still cooking front rotors. I spoke to Wilwood and MM about this and they both agreed the rears were overheating leaving the front with too much work which was ruining the 13" Spec 37 rotors. I swapped out the floating single for 4 piston rear and have never looked back. I use the stock proportioning valve and the car drops from 135 to 40 with in the 450 foot braking zone at the end of the front straight. It is exceptionally stable with great feel while decelerating and I have the utmost confidence in it. We run PolyMatrix E pads and the fronts are good for a day ( two drivers - 12 sessions), but that is all. The rotors are holding up well.

A complete waste of money on a street car. Would not be interested in tracking without them.

Change the fluid every time. :)

YMMV

chr

iismet

Established Member
You can check here for a street setup

standard+IRS+kit+with+mechanical+park+brake.jpg

http://levyracing.com/store/12-2-4-piston-rear-irs-street-brake-kit-for-99-cobra-mustang-89-98-t-bird-and-mark-viii

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
Also I hate to disagree with Bruce as he is very knowledgeable.. BUT Griggs racing does 4 pistons on all four corners and it works flawlessly. It's not unheard, and it does work, BUT it's pointless on a street car..

Users who are viewing this thread